Magnetic Loop

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AC2FO, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
  1. AC2FO

AC2FO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last week a friend of mine AC2IQ and I were talking about antennas , and the magnetic loop antenna came up I mentioned how small they are and how you can tune several bands with it, So he said let's build one. Well about a hour later he had one all finished up with remote tuning cap and all. we lowered his tower down and put it on top, oriented horizontal, it worked great 10-20 meters. Well of course now the wheels start turning, we now need one for th Top Bands. So a quick run to Lowes to buy some parts $500.00 and 2 days later this antenna was born, remote from the shack fully adjustable variable capacitor and all . It took some doing to get it in the air. These pics are also on his qrz site in case you want to see them there AC2IQ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How's it work?

3. AC2FO

It was smoking when I left.

4. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the wind area of that monster?

5. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does it whistle?

6. AC2FO

Good Question It was a beast getting it up the first time, just let me say that. I have a video will have to upload later.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

160m is a strange band which takes some knowledge.

"Anybody" can make domesic contacts. Try working VKs and let us know how that worked out.

8. AC2FO

Maybe I missed it did anyone say anything about making any contacts domestic or otherwise? It's a experiment with a magnetic loop well see how it works out, but AC2IQ used to be a broadcast engineer I think he will be ok on 160.

9. VE3ES

VE3ES Ham Member QRZ Page

There is always somebody with a negative comment.

10. WX7G

WX7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow that is a nice antenna and an article in QST is in order! It will work even better if oriented vertically.

The ARRL 160 meter contest is in early December and that would be a great time give the antenna a test.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.