Magic Jack fixin' to screw their customers over money Verizon owes them.

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by K8MHZ, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

"We are completing your call now, even though Verizon has not paid their bills to us.

"We are completing your call now, even though Verizon has not paid their bills to us."

That is the message I got when I used my MJ phone to call the IRS. The call went through OK.

I don't get the message if I call a local number or other 800 numbers.

Strange.

2. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member

Verizon owes the IRS money? :)

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

That's what I am trying to figure out. The message doesn't say who 'us' is, also I don't get it when I dial the same number with my cell phone.

Why would Verizon owe Magic Jack money?

4. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member

Sounds like some occutard playing phone phreak. Did it sound like professional voice talent?

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

Nope, it's for real. MagicJack is the culprit. I am starting a new thread about it. I will be cutting and pasting the chat conversation there.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

you are using Michael Jackson's phone? Maybe that is the problem.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

Here is a chat session I had with MagicJack about the 'Verizon ' recording I have another thread on.

You are now chatting with 'Emma' Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554081291861X
    Emma: Hello, how may I help you?

mark derby: Why do I get a recording saying 'we are completing your call now even though Verizon hasn't paid their bill to us'.

Emma: Let me assist you with that.

mark derby: ok, I'm waiting

Emma: Thank you.

Emma: Please wait while I check that for you

Emma: I appreciate your patience.

Emma: May I have your phone number, please?

mark derby: 231-xxx-7596

Emma: Thank you for that.

Emma: All right.

Emma: Is the magicJack plugged into the same computer you are using to chat me right now?

mark derby: Yes, some details.

Emma: Please make sure that it is plug into your computer as for troubleshooting purposes.

mark derby: Sorry, not used to chat, I got through OK. The # I was calling was the IRS, 800-829-0922. Calls to other numbers did not have the recording and my cell did not get it. The exact words I get before the phone to the IRS rings is "We are completing your call now, even though Verizon has not paid their bills to us.

mark derby: The phone works fine.

Emma: Great. I'm glad it is working now.

Emma: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

mark derby: I still want to know why I get the recording.

Emma: One moment please...

Emma: I appreciate your patience.

Emma: Have you tried porting out your number from us?

mark derby: I don't know what you mean.

Emma: I mean, have you tried transferring your number from magicJack to Verizon?

mark derby: Nope.

Emma: All right.

Emma: One moment please...

Emma: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
    Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Evert'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554081291861X

mark derby: Hello???

Evert: Hi Mark

Evert: Please give me a few moments to review your previous conversation, thank you.

mark derby: Thanks

Evert: Thank you for waiting, you are calling a toll free number which is under Verizon. The message you can hear is only a general message, due to an agreement made between magicJack and Verizon. We cannot provide you the exact reason for the message, but your calls will still go through even if you hear the message.

mark derby: Does the IRS know you are doing this?

mark derby: And why do I, as a MagicJack customer care if Verizon owes you money or not?

Evert: They should know because their phone service carrier is Verizon.

mark derby: They know about the recording???

Evert: Your call to the number 800-829-0922 should have not gone through, but we are still allowing the call. There is a chance in the future if Verizon will still not pay their bills your call to this number will no longer go through.

mark derby: Are you telling me my phone service will be compromised if Verizon doesn't pay their bills? Will I get a refund?

Evert: Yes, a refund is not possible.

mark derby: So I won't be getting the service I paid for?

Evert: I believe that I have already provided you all the information needed; I will end this conversation now, if you any other concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to chat us back. We are always here to assist you. Thank you.

Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat

-------------------------------------------------------------

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

"Suicide hot line. Hold please...":p

9. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber

With all due respect, "Big Deal".

Companies fight all the time over interconnecting services. Watch cable TV every year.

Magic Jack isn't screwing their customers, if Verizon won't pay their bills.

Solution; Make Verizon your phone provider! ;)

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member

Toll free numbers are somewhat interesting in how they work and are billed. What is probably happening is that Verizon is not paying the allocated amount to MJ when those calls to Verizon 800 numbers are called.

The solution is to find the regular number to call, as everyone with a toll free number also has a regular area code type number. You should be able to call that number without issue.

Joe

11. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member

I merged two threads about this topic together--although 1 is still more than enough... :cool:

12. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member

Zero threads about this is really not enough, but one may be too many.

13. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member

I guess the internet phones like MJ have a place, but I would also observe that at the prices in their adverts, ya get what you pay for. Telcom was never cheap and it's only gotten more expensive as base service for a house now included TV, Data and voice. Sometimes delivered by three different providers over three different modes.

I miss dial phones.

14. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

No argument there. However, MJ is paid a year in advance for the services they advertised. I don't consider dropping part of a pre-paid service with no compensation to the customer to be fair practice.

15. WB2WIK

I bought one about a year ago and used it a few times.

I didn't consider communications latency to be a good thing and never used it again.

Maybe I didn't pull the string tight enough.:p

16. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber

Look, I understand you are annoyed. It may be an inconvenience for you. But the fault is Verizon's.

This is really petty stuff. Jeez.

17. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber

That, Joe, and since long distance calling costs the same as local calling nowadays (since dialing long distance is inclusive in most calling plans), dialing toll-free is moot.

I'm returning my Magic Jack--it ain't so magic with OS v10.8 on a Mac. What I was surprised to find was, while shopping at Fry's, there are a handful of different manufacturers with similar devices and functions to MJ. Methinks I'll go with Ooma--it's on sale at Costco right now and what's nice about that is that you can set up a black list to screen out unwanted callers--something MJ doesn't offer.

I use Skype for most calls but it's a little pricey having to use a branded phone to avoid having to leave your computer on to receive voicemails through the service.

18. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

We get local service for FREE and long distance dirt-cheap now that we pay exorbitant amount for internet access and (formerly FREE) TV. Total bill used to be around $75. Now we pay $200 and customer service is marginal at best.

"Your call is important to us! Please hold!

No really, you ARE our most IMPORTANT customer! Please HOLD!!"

:rolleyes:

19. WB2WIK

Maybe this is a regional thing, but here a LL service with "free calling anywhere within the U.S." is cheap. My LL service provider is also my broadband service provider and also my cable TV service provider. The plan for all three is cheap. We rarely even use the cable TV part of it, I just got that as it was part of the telephone/broadband package, all via fibre optic cable. It's fast, it's clear, there's no latency, you don't need a computer, and it's still cheap.

I like cheap.:eek:

20. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

Ooma was recommended to me. It's about 200 bucks to set up from what I was told, but supposedly works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.