Mad or Sad?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA8UEG, Jan 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. It has ALWAYS been a problem.
    It was worse in times when the solar flux was very high and the conditions were more worldwide than they are now and there was the woodpecker as well to deal with. I spent a lot of time DXing in those days as did many. You either learned to deal with it and worked the DX(peditions) eventually through it all anyway or you kicked yourself to the curb crying about it and became a ragchewer, hang around the nets, or take up another hobby perhaps.

Double up your resolve, never say die, work through the pain, and be a DXer.

2. UA6JD

UA6JD Moderator Platinum Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

The quote above from my QRZ page which I was edit 9 years ago .
    So , it is not today's problem - people don't know anything about HAM Radio spirit .

K7MH likes this.
  3. KI5WW

KI5WW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been a ham for 45 years. The only DX have ever worked is what I chance by while tuning around and hear them calling cq.

Only pile ups I participate in is by kicking back with a cold beer and listening, pick my favorite player and cheer him on.

ND6M likes this.
  4. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I needed E31 on CW, it's not a ATNO for me so I decided to give something a try. They were strong yesterday on 20 so I fired up my Heath station, DX60/HG10 & MR-1 receiver. The MR-1 just did not have enough selectivity, I could here stations calling 5 Khz away and everything in between so I switched to my HQ140X receiver. The HQ140X did the trick so I found out where they were answering calls which at the time was just shy of 2 Khz up and tuned the HG10 to that frequency, put the HQ140 back on there transmit frequency and it only took 3 calls before I got them.

After I worked them I tuned around and I could here stations calling them anywhere from 1 Khz to 10 Khz up, a lot just repeating there call after pausing 1 or 2 seconds. My point is you don't need a high powered state of the art station with all the bells and whistles to work DXPedtions, what's needed is good operating technique.

If the DX station is answering calls in rapid succession you need to find that frequency, when there is a long pause then they moved and you need to find out where. If they indicate up and you just pick a frequency that's up from their transmit frequency and start rapid fire calling it will be a long night requiring a lot of luck to get them in the log.

W4IOA, K1TGX and AD5HR like this.
  5. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

So, I have a question. I know the DX Police are trying to help all the unwashed, but I am a bit confused about something.

How many kc is a lid? I keep hearing "up" followed by "lid" as though they were synonymous.

6. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It happens to everyone. To all my fellow DX chasers tell me that you have never forgot to hit the split button or were in reverse mode and made a call before realizing it. I have.

What's annoying are the stations that continue to call even after the "police" have repeatedly sent up. Then they (the police) start sending up lid which takes even longer so now you have the offender calling then after that the "police" sending up lid so the 2, 3 or 4 seconds of QRM is now stretched to 5, 6 or 7 seconds. I can honestly say I have never got on a DX stations frequency and sent "up" .

The only thing you can do is live with it, the stations repeatedly calling even after the "police" have sent up many times are most likely using a fake call and just trying to break their personal best of up responses.

7. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not read all the comments so this may duplicate what someone else has said. I have been a ham since 1958 and an active DX Op (all but P 5 and Z6 confirmed) for most of that time. I do think we have always had DQRM but IMO it has gotten worse over the past 10 years. IMO there are a couple of reasons. One, we have more untrained basically stupid people in this hobby than in the past, but the main cause I think is the "entitlement" mentality.
    I strongly suspect that most who DQRM do not have the knowledge, skills and ability nor the station required to work some of the rare DX. If you can't master working split nor understand what the DX means when they say listening for EU or working 6's and 7's only you are up the creek with no paddle.....yet lacking the skills/station needed they "think" (entitlement attitude) that they should be able to work the DX just like everyone else. No need to learn procedures...no need to build a reasonably effective station. I "deserve" to work that DX and if I can't by golly nobody else should either....and if I create enough DQRM others won't either.

K8PG likes this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

The more people that enter amateur radio the greater percentage of nonsense will follow. Think of it as roads, when there is little traffic the idiots seem few and far, when the roads are congested, it seems to be the entire system is loaded with idiots.

9. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why I am a wannabe dxer. First time split on ft8 ordered by someone in central America.

10. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

Converts from 11 meters bringing their 11 meter operating etiquette to the Ham Bands.

KA2FIR and K3XR like this.