Mad or Sad?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA8UEG, Jan 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

DISCIPLINE....why would you expect it on the ham bands while in many instances it's lacking in the home and schools ?

"dis·ci·pline
    [ˈdisəplən]
    NOUN
    1. the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience:
      "a lack of proper parental and school discipline" "

WA8UEG and KD2NOM like this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. I have been licensed for 60 years and have been a DXer most of that time. Though all I need to have them all is P 5 (not likely in my lifetime) I still enjoy working DX and Dxpeditions on bands/modes I don't have them confirmed. I have gotten to the point that if the DQRM is that bad I just spin the VFO dial or go QRT. Some of interference is just due to ignorance and that is bad enough. Hard to believe so many do not know how to work split. The frequency police are idiots. The intentional QRM is a whole different story.

WA8UEG likes this.
  3. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

DQRM is minor compared to that generated by those supposedly trying to work the DX (e.g. stations call when the DX is already working a station, call while the DX station is transmitting, call from areas of the world when the DX station specifies a different area, call on the wrong frequency when the DX is working split, etc.)

KA2FIR and WA7WJR like this.
  4. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

My TS990 has a beat cancelling button, the carriers are gone on phone only thing I notice is the s meter staying in one place, but can copy through the clowns.On CW I can cut the bandwidth down to 50hz if necessary and bring in the notch filter if needed. I sure do not know why some do it, perhaps they cannot work it, so let's not anyone else do it. Or, used to be be on 40 meters many were whining about one expedition taking up a few Khz. So, the band was widened and guess what the jerks followed the expedition. Been chasing DX since 58 and very likely I will continue the practice, I am more determined then the mentally challenged who use their transmitters to interfere with other activities.

5. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No doubt that is also a problem but I believe there is a difference, a huge difference from DQRM and ops that don't have any idea how to work DXPeditions and, for whatever reason, don't choose to research and learn the proper procedures. I really don't believe they know that they have no chance of getting the station in the log and at some point will figure it out after never confirming a rare one and read or ask someone what their doing wrong.

6. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

"Same conversation then ...."

I think this must be an american problem...
    Over in England?

Well firstly we had remarks and comments, not so-called 'conversations' back then but aside ...
    I was an SWL in the late 60's. Long wires and a V dipole between trees. With a ¼" of bandspread on a 4-tube Codar CR70A at first, then a Trio JR-500SE. I logged 400 prefixes and heard KS6, KM6, KG6, 9N1; you name it actually, and I don't remember hearing badly behaved pileups at all.
    Then again, as you'd expect for my age, I regard the past through rose-tinted spectacles.

I was listening to E31A yesterday, barely audible on my vertical but nonetheless the pileup, which was significant, as you'd expect for extremely rare Eritrea, was well behaved.

The biggest mistake people make is calling on the DX freq and not 'UP'.
    I guess it's down to people with old rigs or homebrews who don't have the facility?

I remember when V63X operated from Pohn-pei in the more boastful era of pre-2001, and I still have the recordings of the most unbelievable behaviour on top of the DX. Dummies re-broadcasting Billy-Graham religious shows, having discussions about Aliens and UFO's, and with the Italians battling the Sardinians with verbal insults focused around the subject of:
    "You are Macaroni".
    'And you are Spaghetti'
    All on top of the DX calling channel.

You cannot make this stuff up, I have the recordings still ... You can actually hear it online if you know where to go.

I think the world of the predominant hot-heads was forced to its senses somewhat in the last decade or so: — fingers crossed

7. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Having said that. I reserve my more, 'agitated moments' for the polystyrene & bubble-wrap unpacking ceremonies of the latest offerings from the ebay 'misty-mountains of junk', in the workshop.
    If I go to the ham bands in the same mindset, I know that once having switched on, I'll 'sane up ', within a few minutes. Because amateur radio was for me, always about trying to respect the other op's foibles or personality, and enjoy reaching out across the 'void', and making a connection of some kind, yes through the invisible wireless medium.

8. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't you wonder- somebody must live close enough to them to have a pretty good idea where it is coming from?

9. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

We had punks on the playground in primary school, ages 5-12. Their favorite trick was to steal the ball and run off with it, threatening "play my way or not at all". Apparently, for some, maturation stopped then.

10. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, I think their is a significant number of callers who let the cluster run their stations, thus minimizing personal effort. "If it's posted, I must be able to log it" mentality thus takes over. So, even though they can't actually copy directions given by the dx opr, they call anyway, oblivious to where the dx listens.