Mad or Sad?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA8UEG, Jan 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I listen to the garbage generated on DXpedtions frequencies and have to believe that, as a hobby, we have the most childish, jealous, insecure people among our ranks of any hobby in the world, can anyone think of a hobby that is more sabotaged by it's own members then Amateur Radio? You really have to be special kind of stupid or flat out disturbed to get your kicks out of cursing or interfering anonymously on a DXPedtions frequency. Why they do it I honestly don't know. Could be, even though no one knows who they are, they are starving for attention by any means possible or could be they were the ones that no one would sit with at lunch or played keep away with their book bag and this is there way of rebelling, in a way it's sad.

I honestly think I feel more sorry for them angry at them, one thing is for sure they need to seek professional help to work through their issues because they do have issues.

The best course of action is to do nothing and ignore them, never respond in anyway. Responding only feeds their twisted needs and encourages their behavior, remember were not dealing with stable people.

N0YPD likes this.
  2. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's face it ham radio operators are a segment of the general population. You get what you get - good and bad. I've only been operating since the early 60's but I remember this same discussion going on then. I also remember the 'old timers' telling the same kind of stories about years before TGX. . . Think what a very small % it takes to create a problem. Its been my experience that the vast majority of hams are good people who would be more than happy to help you in any way. My 1st transmitter was made from donated parts from hams in our local radio club. The members were more than happy to help.

You have the answer - ignore them. Be bigger than them.

W4IOA likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've noticed this to be a trend seemingly on the rise. Maybe jealous hams lacking the skills to make the contact? Or the 75m drunks looking for something new to do up on 20 meters?

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR and N7ANN like this.
  4. WB9LUR

WB9LUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to believe that it's a very tiny minority that cause the DQRM and yes just ignoring them seems best ... I have to say though, I don't seem to remember hams cussing in CW so much in the "good old days" but maybe it's just my memory filtering the bad stuff out...

5. WA8UEG

I have been very active for over 50 years and never has it been anywhere close to what it has become in the past 5 or 6 years, not close. Yes, in the 60's as well as today there was jamming of nets primarily on 75 but only occasionally would some one intentionally jam DXpedtions, it happened but not close to what you hear today and CW was pretty much clear of them.

I totally agree with Dave, those who can do and those that can't see if they can somehow upset the apple cart. Still, I stand by my statement that anyone who does has issues and needs to seek professional help.

I can just see it now. Honey I know it's 5 AM but XX5X is probably on so I am going to go down and see if I can interfere with the people that need that country, it will be so much fun.

N0YPD, K8PG and N7WR like this.
  6. YO3GFH

YO3GFH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I somehow suspect that there's no "honey" around for those in question :D:D:D

WW2E likes this.
  7. WA8UEG

Now that would be hard to argue with!!!!

8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's no "seemingly" about it in my estimation. Seems to be happening with ever-increasing frequency (no pun intended).

At once I find myself anticipating and dreading the upcoming Bouvet Island expedition.

W4IOA likes this.
  9. WA8UEG

With what these hams are going through and what they are facing getting there, staying there and returning to activate a very rare entity anyone intentionally interfering should have their coax pinned and I'm being nice. (old timers will know what this is)

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It has always been a problem on phone, maybe worse today than in the past but always far worse than on CW. As we can't control aberrant behavior, it's a simple matter to avoid it. And for the limited amount which does exist on the CW section, most contemporary rigs are quite effective eliminating that.

K7MH likes this.