ad: hrd-2

Mac Software Development

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by K3TZR, May 27, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K3TZR

K3TZR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a retired software developer, Mac user and Ham. I own a Flex-6500 and an ANAN-100. Neither offers any Mac-native software (so I own one Windows computer).

For the last year I've been working on a Mac-native Flex client (SmartSDR for the Mac). It's big task for one person. I COULD USE SOME HELP!

If there are any readers who have Mac software skills (Objective-C, Swift, Cocoa, OpenGL, etc.) and who would want to help create some Mac-native software, please reach out to me.

I put a similar (but much longer) post on the Flex community and received almost no response. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this would be useful.

73's Doug
    K3TZR

MTPOCKETS likes this.
  2. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Doug, my 6500 will here next week and I have been a Mac user since the late 80's but never did any programing beside Apple Scripts. I was just thinking about looking to see if anyone is doing anything for the Flex and bam you post just popped up.

Let see what happens.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Doug,

As you know, the Flex-6xxx Signature Series radios are fully supported by dogparkSDR (http://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html) which is, of course, integrated with MacLoggerDX (also from Dog Park Software). dpSDR is fully Mac-native and saying that there is no Mac-native software is inaccurate.

Perhaps you should share some more of the goals that you shared with me in email form; such as it being open source, developed in Swift, user-configurable and tinkerable (is that a word?), etc. Taking a different approach to current developments rather than ignoring existing software is likely to get you more interest.

Just my two-cents worth.

4. AF7VT

AF7VT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not have Mac software skills so I cannot help, sorry. I'm writing to ask if you know of any Mac software for County Hunting.

Thank you for your time.

Ric AF7VT

5. K3TZR

Ric AF7VT[/QUOTE]

Ric, I'm sorry to say that I don't know of any Mac County Hunting software

Doug

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  6. K3TZR

Dave,

You are correct, there are Mac-centric solutions available, I misspoke.

What is not available is an Open Source Flex client for the Mac, something like what exists in the OpenHPSDR community. They have taken the old PowerSDR software, which Flex made Open Source, and improved upon it as well as built new functionality on top of it. Ham radio is about experimentation and for me at least that also applies to the software that runs our SDR radios.

Building an SDR client is a big task, I don't think it can be done by one person in a reasonable amount of time. I believe that if there was a small community of software minded hams supporting an Open Source Flex client for the Mac it would encourage experimentation in lots of areas. The Flex client is a bit different than the OpenHPSDR client in that it is only a client, the DSP is all inside the radio but, if nothing else, there is a lot of room for experimentation in the User Interface.

Yesterday I posted a note on the Flex Community about a simple tool I created to allow a Mac user to experiment with the FlexAPI commands. There may be opportunities to build "add-ons" to use on a Mac while running SmartSDR on the Windows box. Who knows?

I may be the only one interested. Perhaps the Flex user community is more interested in using the radio than experimenting with its software.