ad: SDRKits-1

MAC OS High Sierra, Digital Program

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by NL0H, May 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NL0H

NL0H Ham Member QRZ Page

Where can I find a program for my MacBook Air (10.13.6) that will run PSK31, RTTY, etc?

I’m not having success with the latest FLdigi and can’t seem to find previous versions.

Thank you
    Henry
    NL0H

2. K8CD

K8CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've only ever used fldigi on my Mac. However there seems to be a software called MultiMode Cocoa that does RTTY. I know nothing about it though.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Henry,

"not having success" is a broad set of problems, ranging from sound issues to rig control to just not liking the way it looks. A bit more specificity could likely help. What are you not having success with?

Do you have the latest, and the correct, version? If you're running High Sierra, you probably want the version fldigi-4.1.03_x86_64.dmg file. The direct link to that file is https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/fldigi/fldigi-4.1.03_x86_64.dmg/download

WU7X likes this.
  4. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Henry,

Fldigi is one of the best programs available for the Mac and ham radio. Cocoa Modem is very good, I have not used it on the air due to my being restricted to indoor antennas and no HF antenna.

Dave W1HKJ is the programmer for the Fast & Light suite of programs for the Mac being used with ham radio. This group has the answers to questions and experiences with the FL suite of ham radio progroms: linuxham on groups.io. The URL is: https://groups.io/g/linuxham. You'll find the answer there, possibly from Dave, he is an active participant.

I have two Macs running the fl suite - a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is running High Sierra, Apple has deemed that the hardware can not support a later Mac OS X, that is later than High Sierra. My experience with the MacBook Pro (mid 2009) and fldigi is the i-386 version is the one that works. Without knowing much about the MacBook Air, I can't say with certainty what version of fldigi you need to install.

Keep in mind that the fldigi group of programmers write their code for several computer platforms: Mac OS X, linux, and Windows. The linusham group covers the linux and MacOS X platforms. Windows platform is handled by another group on groups.io.

Motorcycled north of the Arctic Circle on the Haul Road,
    Bernie, AF9US

WU7X likes this.
  5. NL0H

NL0H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok. Sorry for not getting back to everone sooner. I though I had WSJT-X running smoothly... until yesterday morning when it stopped transmitting.

Here is a quick order of events...
    I had WSJT-X running properly. FLDigi would only decode tons of random nothing. Black waterfall. Transmit works.
    I updated my MacBook from 10.13 to 10.13.6. this Sunday. Everything was the same.
    Yesterday morning I was on FT8 and my transmit suddenly failed.
    A reboot came back with 'mac os configuration failed. I found steps to fix that but instead it came back working. No difference with WSJT-X. FLDigi file only diplayed a '?' and clicking on it did nothing. I could not find FLDigi anywhere.
    I called Apple today and they suggested starting with updating to Mojave 10.14.4. which I did. (It only took 3 hours or so!)
    I re-downloaded FLDigi and find to be 'working' as before...send but seemingly no receive. WSJT-X is back to receiving but not sending.

Thank you,
    Henry
    NL0H

6. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What rig are you using? How is it interfaced to the Mac? It sounds like you don't have the correct device setup in your send and receive sound settings in the app, but some other possibilities include:

- driver not installed properly
    - access not given to your "microphone" in the Privacy settings in the System Preferences/Security & Privacy (new in Mojave)
    - Fldigi not allowed to make network connections

The fact that Fldigi sends but does not receive, and WSJT-X receives but does not send seems to point to the wrong devices being setup in their respective configuration menus.

7. NL0H

NL0H Ham Member QRZ Page

The rig is Yaesu FT-891. And a Tigertronics SignaLink.
    Both input and output are set to USB Audio Codec in WSJT-X. I'm not entirly sure how to configure Fldigi. I am not using CAT control either.
    I gave both microphone access.
    I dond't understand why WSJT-X quit transmitting why after working fine. I had been on the air with no problems....until the band starting opening to EU then bye bye transmit!

8. KD7ZYN

KD7ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

On my Mac I had to change the Audio Midi Setup settings for the USB Audio Codec to 44.1khz to keep the Signalink from disconnecting and not transmitting. Though I would get my transmitted audio playing out through the Mac's speakers when it would happen. I have to reset these settings every time I use a different USB port.

9. K3DCW

In the Soundcard settings for Fldigi, simply set both the input and output to USB Audio CODEC and make sure the check mark for Port Audio is selected, hit save at the bottom of the window and then close the preferences. It should work with no issue.

What version of WSJT-X? There were some previous beta versions that had an expiration date, if I recall correctly. The latest release version is v2.0.1 and can be downloaded from http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-2.0.1-Darwin.dmg.

If all else fails with WSJT-X, go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete the file WSJT-X.ini. You'll have to setup WSJT-X's configuration again, but this will clear out any previous settings and may work as it has done for others.

10. NL0H

NL0H Ham Member QRZ Page

I deleted WSJT-X, did a system recovery and reinstalled Mac OS 10.14.4, then reinstalling WSJT-X 2.0.1. TX and RX is working now... but only if I have an audio cable from the radio to SignaLink for RX like before. I should be getting RX from the data port.

I have not reinstalling Fldigi because I need to focus on getting one program working first. So far I’m not hearing much besides FT8 here.