Mac compatible programming

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by W2BIZ, Jul 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ain't that the truth! I've never looked back since going Apple when I retired...my ham shack computer is my only Windows machine.
    I kind of like having a dedicated shack computer...just too bad it was easier to go Windows for ham apps.

N0TZU likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you fall for the Win 10 Freebie ?

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not upgrade if thats what you mean...but I did get a new machine with Win 10. Quite frankly none of the MS op systems have impressed me.
    I live with Windows 10 only because it was expedient for the shack.

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Parallels has come a long way in the last few versions (the latest is v.12) so that gets my vote, too; I've been using it for many years. I use it on my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini.

However...

Not knowing what kind of Mac you have, be sure to have at least 16 GB RAM in your machine since, with Parallels running Windows, to run it so it doesn't operate at a crawl you'll need to dedicate 8GB to Windows and 8GB to your Mac OS.

5. K8AJS

K8AJS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm running Parallels Desktop 11 on a MacBook Pro 17-inch Mid 2009 computer with 8 GB of RAM, 4 GB allowed for Windows 10, leaving 4 GB for the Mac system. I'm running the DXLab Suite for logging software, and N1MMLogger + for contesting. The speed is respectable and everything works well. The computer has been upgraded to SSD storage, but I really didn't notice a significant change in speed of operation after I did that.

I will qualify this by saying that this setup is used ONLY for ham radio-related stuff. It doesn't do e-mail or run any applications that are not related to functions in the shack. If you don't load the computer down with other jobs, the ham radio stuff runs quickly and well (I have another newer MacBook Pro for day-to-day activities).

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I used Windows at work and home since 3.0, DOS before that. Win 8 finally pushed me to try OS X. What a revelation - Hallelujah!

I run Win10 in Fusion but only for antenna modeling, RT systems and one tax program. And I have a hand-me-down Vista laptop only for programming mobile radios using RT.

Every time I use Windows I'm reminded anew why I went to Mac.

7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a Linux guy (though my job requires I keep some Windows around) and I also practice Astrophotography. When I first started in AP, I had the same issue. A dedicated Windows machine for taking the images. That has been changing a lot as many of the new software is cross-platform. (PixInsight, etc) Given the roots of radio, I'm surprised much of radio software isn't cross-platform. (like Chirp is)

8. KM5BOR

KM5BOR Ham Member QRZ Page

Chirp runs fine on mac and programs all my radios. Others have mentioned running winblows in parallels or bootcamp.

9. K3JRZ

K3JRZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chirp works great on the Mac. So does WSJT-X, JT-Bridge and Fldigi. Those are my 3 main ham radio programs that I use. If I need to do a firmware on either of my Yaesu radios, I just use my Windows work laptop.