ad: ProAudio-1

Mac compatible programming

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by W2BIZ, Jul 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W2BIZ

W2BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all. I am looking to purchase my first dual band mobile rig. Does anyone know of any manufacturers that produce a radio capable of being programmed from an apple computer system?
    Thanks.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not let that limit you on what radio you buy.

Why is a Apple computer a requirement ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. W2BIZ

W2BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

All I own is Apple computers. Looking at the icom 880h. Just need something relatively easy to manually program, because I'm not sure if any manufacturers make software to work with Apple.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been down this route since my re-entry to Amateur Radio. I suggest you find a Cheap PC running Windows and dedicate it to radio. I found it easier this way. It stays in my shack. My Mac is for the rest of life.

K5JEF likes this.
  5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I program my Drake with my Commodore 64.

Well no I don't but why would I need to?

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps a Commodore VIC? They were expandable to 16KB. Entry level computer for my sons. Soon eclipsed by an Apple IIC. Wow...we have come a long way baby!

7. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use CHIRP with my Mac to program my Yaesu FT-8900, FT-60 and Kenwood V71A. Works fine.

W1GVT, AG6QR and K5JEF like this.
  8. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I run Parallels on my Mac, just for this purpose. It runs simultanously with OS. You can drag items between the two if needed.

I use it to run RT Systems, Motorola CPS, and a couple of others. Been using it for 8 years, on three different Macs, with no problems.

WF7A and W2TXB like this.
  9. KD9CDY

KD9CDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had good success programming my 880h from my mac. I've got a cable matters serial adaptor, and chirp. For some reason chirp won't program UR calls for my radio, other than that its been perfect. I'm by no means guaranteeing it'll work for you, but it did for me.

10. K8INA

K8INA Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel your pain, friend. I HATE using Windows based machines, so I too have only Apples. When it came time to use my Icom IC-7300 with my computers, I found that Ham Radio Deluxe wouldn't work. SOOOOOOO, I looked on EBAY, found a refurbished DELL, and made the purchase for $108 delivered. Then the fun began, and I remembered why I dislike Windows. It said I need a driver, so the search was on. I finally found it, tried to install it only to be told I needed a driver for the driver. I downloaded the driver, and tried to install HRD. I was then told that I needed a driver for the radio. What the hell?????? Same scenario when I tried to hook up fldigi to the PC. Driver here, driver there, driver everywhere, including the one to driver me to the nut house. Instead, I ran a wire from my MacBook Pro, and guess what? No drivers, nothing else need, it ran the first time. Go figure. I still have the PC for HRD, but everything else goes on the Apple.

KE8JSM likes this.