M-disc media

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NM7G, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Who has first-hand experience using M-discs for archiving? I'm interested in compatibility with already installed (and currently being sold) optical readers. A link which describes the differences between conventional DVD or Blu-Ray and materials in a M-disc isn't what I need.

Furthermore, any idea how widely M-discs have been accepted, whether in enterprise or personal systems? Do they have any popularity?

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

M Disks have been around since ~2010 or so, but don't seem to have caught on well. We tried them, but they did not seem to us to be any more useful than regular DVDs. I guess if you need to burn disks that last a hundred years, they might be handy.... but other than that, I don't see any advantage.

3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm curious why you would consider M-discs in the first place--sure, the media's guaranteed for a thousand years but you'd be lucky enough to have hardware/software around fifty years from now to read them.

4. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. Aging stability is their claim to fame, and that caught my interest.

5. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

I archive (on multiple types of media) content I want to be available in several generations. It doesn't matter if hardware and software change, as long as file formats and at least one media type is readable in another century. I don't care how the files are read in 100+ years. That will be someone else's challenge.