ad: Amateuramateur-1

Lunch police seize child's bagged lunch, force feed her chicken nuggets.

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by NZ2N, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
  1. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we go...

Click me.

What the hell? Parents can't decide what their kids eat anymore?

2. G4ALA

G4ALA Ham Member QRZ Page

A rather famous and wll televised UK chef called Jamie Oliver with Government backing has led a camaign against the poor nutritional state of school meals in the UK.

The epitome (there's a Sunday word) of mal (rather than lack of) nutirition is, according to local Jamie's lore, is the CHICKEN NUGGET!

On the other hand, I do believe the schoolchild's own lunchbox sounded quite healthy eating.

Lord save us from the righteous!

John G4ALA

3. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounded okay to me too...

Meat, bread, cheese, fruit, chips... what's wrong with that?

4. KA5S

KA5S Subscriber QRZ Page

This is all over the Conservative Web. Probably some sort of FDA Plot, eh? The Atlanta Journal Constitution gets into more detail. Here's an except from a quote in that article:
    Here's another article in the NC Civitas Institute, that quotes the mother at length.
    It appears that North Carolina, for whatever reason, enforces healthy eating in preschools as well as Mom would at home. But they should also have required the child eat the lunch she brought!

Tempest in a Tea P...ot.

Cortland
    KA5S

5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure this goes back to Michelle Obama and her initiative about school lunch and healthy eating. Why is it that when I went to school, there was no such thing as school lunch or even a cafeteria in school. Gotta give credit where credit is due - the union thugs.

However, this is BS. Another alarming intrusion into our private lives. I would imagine one day (the way this country is going), to see at each McDonalds, a guard with an arm patch resembling the swastika there to ensure food quality. If you disobey, then off the the "re-education" camp.

I just wish this mother had the financial ability to pursue this in the courts but sadly from what she says, she seems to accept the fact that "She" made a mistake.

K2WH

6. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Since when does the government have the right to tell us what we can or can't feed our kids? Putting up with or accepting this intrusion into our privacy only leads to giving up more of our rights. Didn't see where the mother told the school food police to buzz off.

7. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a citizen of North Carolina I am repulsed by this. I dont care about the politics behind but I am sure there is some. What gets me is the complete and total lack of common sense by these people. You are taking a fairly healthy turkey sandwich from her and feed her chicken nuggets? Come on people. Have common sense. I could have understood if her entree was like a pack of twinkies with skittles for the fruit washed down with a Mt. Dew and a hershey bar for dessert. This is another case of the ltover parentalization of our culture. We take the decsions for children away from the parents but yet we expect them to teach children right from wrong.

North Carolina either does not have a minium age for a motorcycle rider. You can ride your 2 year on a motorcycle as long as he or she has a helmet. Again crazy. I love m state but the idiots that are in it gets on my nerves. I feel that I should also say that I have worked for the state. I had 15 years working in prisons and as a probation officer. My mother retired at 36 years working at a state home for the mentally retarded. I understand how crazy NC can be. Some times I say of you are doing something that makes sense stop it because it is against the rules!

By the way I would probably still be raising hell over this. My little one will always have a meal that is well rounded if she takes lunch. She is in the second grade so it seems that the food nazis would not bother her lunch. Before me and my wife seperated I had to get on Santa Claus at the mall. My step son wanted a bb gun. He asked Santa. Santa said I dont bring weapons to children. My step son left Santa crying. I told my wife to take him for a walk. I "talked" to Santa. I told him that it is up to us to decide what he does and does not bring. My family has a long line of hunters in it. I am a certified firearms instructor. He used it under my supervision. Why make the boy cry. Santa told me to bring him back. He told him that he had changed his mind. Again this was a case of an outside person trying to take the place of the parents.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Like "chicken" nuggets are healthy? Do you really want to see what mechanically-separated chicken is?

I always brought my lunch to high school every day. I usually ate yogurt, fruits, maybe sunchips or something. That's a lot better than the McRib-knockoff the school was selling. Ugh. Wouldn't touch that.

Though this article appeared in Fox, this isn't a conservative/liberal issue. Everyone needs to re-examine the school lunch program. Problem is, students often times will just refuse anything that's not junk. Even if a school can afford to make salads, healthy sandwiches, and offer fresh fruit, the students will often want Coke and cookies. Students who can afford to bring their own lunch should be left alone. It's the students who are on subsidized lunches that I'm worried about. The solution probably is to more closely monitor school cafeteria budgets. I suspect that a lot of the money is squandered. Squandered budgets leads to less quality food for students who are undernourished or malnourished.

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

At the root of this is the government's belief and with no constitutional backing that the children are it's property. That you in effect are it's property.

10. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then the school charged the parent for the lunch, which given the current state of logic if the parent refused to pay it the student would most likely be expelled.

Must include one serving each of meat, milk and grain and two servings of fruit or vegetables.

turkey = meat
    cheese = diary
    a banana = fruit
    potato chips = happy kid something to trade for a brownie
    and apple juice in her packed lunch from home.

according to applejuice.org 100% fruit juices count as a serving of fruit

So, the question is was it 100% fruit juice? If it was then there is going to more problems as the lunch met the guidelines.

Then again it is NC so if may not meet the BBQ or deep fried food group. (i kid, i kid)

11. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Just another thought to add to the mix: Where does it say you have to have the daily recommended foods spread out in all three meals per day? What if a family chooses to have the recommended foods for breakfast and dinner and just Fritos for lunch?

12. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The parent of the child asked almost the same thing

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/homemade-lunch-replaced-with-cafeteria-nuggets.html

“I pack her lunchbox according to what she eats. It always consists of a fruit. It never consists of a vegetable. She eats vegetables at home because I have to watch her because she doesn’t really care for vegetables.”

The part that really gets me
    When the girl came home with her lunch untouched, her mother wanted to know what she ate instead. Three chicken nuggets, the girl answered. Everything else on her cafeteria tray went to waste.

13. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I read that--I didn't put my point across well. Sorry.

Does anybody else see the irony of the McDonald's ad for a sausage sandwich--which has practically zero nutritional value--next to an article condemning a parent for not providing a healthy-enough meal?

Screen shot 2012-02-15 at 7.13.19 AM.png

14. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

That didn't take long.

15. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Why is the school inspecting kids lunches?
    2. Who picked this particular induhvidual to inspect the lunch?
    3. What qualifications does this particular induhvidual have? Starting with, any common sense at all?
    4. Why is the school replacing the entire lunch, not supplementing the one or three allegedly missing items?
    5. What gives the school the right to bill the parents when they decide to feed the child?

It is the height of aburdity, to say nothing of institutional arrogance, to prevent a child from eating a meal that they normally would eat (more or less) in full, on the grounds that a superficial inspection alleges that it is insufficient in 100% of the government mandated nutritional value for that meal... and replace it with an "approved" meal that the child does not eat. Wasted food... wasted effort... and a child goes hungry due to institutional/government interference.

On top of that... charging the parents for the substitute (unwanted/uneaten) lunch? This sounds suspiciously like a certain Asian country that allegedly bills the families of those they execute for capital crimes the cost of the bullet(s) that killed them.

16. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber QRZ Page

The food nazis strike again.

It's coming, folks! It's coming! And the bleating sheeple keep electing the same people to office, over and over again.

17. KD0AUO

KD0AUO Ham Member QRZ Page

This has nothing to do with eating a healthy meal. That much is OBVIOUS given what was taken away was healthy, and what was forced upon her was garbage.

So, that fact established, what's the real reason here?

So often, these things come down to money. For every student not on the dole, it's a lost dollar (OK, probably less than a dollar/student) that the school will never see from the feds. Why else would they monitor what is being brought from home? Some might say it's to ensure a healthy lunch, please see above.

18. KA5S

KA5S Subscriber QRZ Page

THAT is political; food companies spend a lot of money pressuring politicians to keep things like that from happening.

Cortland
    KA5S

19. KA5S

KA5S Subscriber QRZ Page

Now, Sue, you know that's not so. The SCHOOL has what the lawyers call in loco parentis status; during the school day. they have pretty much parental authority. If Mom can make Sweetie eat her veggies, so can they, basically. I do see a problem with them not accepting that Mom might actually do the job. Some don't, that's true, but the school seems to be assuming none of them do.

Don't know what The Penguin might have done.

Cortland
    KA5S

20. WB4WHJ

WB4WHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right.. the sheeple keep electing the slugs to office. This country is going down, down, down.
    Bo Wb4whj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.