LUF higher than MUF

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AL4Y, Oct 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

What does it mean when the predicted LUF is higher than the predicted MUF? Below is a snippet from the ARRL’s propagation chart for October 2018.
    upload_2018-10-23_21-4-56.png
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Propagation Charts/10akhi70.pdf
    For a good part of the day the LUF (blue) is higher than both the MUF (green) and the HPF (red). I am guessing that means that there is no usable frequency during that time frame due to D layer absorption, but someone more learned please break it down for me.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

you have to use "snow bounce". get the dogs to do laps around the property with the snow blower pointing up, then zap the crap with your 1kW microwave signal.

(just kidding!)

K0OKS likes this.
  3. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't there from here?

KK5JY likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Alaska to Western Europe" is a challenge, even when the sun is covered with spots. If you look at the great circle path, it's not hard to imagine why that is. In the years where SF is low (like now), there's going to be a big chunk of the day where the ionosphere just can't do that path, on any frequency.

"Oklahoma to India" looks a lot like that, too. :)

5. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Right, but Oklahoma to India is 15,000 km. Alaska to Western Europe is more like 5,000 km, similar to the distance between Alaska and Oklahoma.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The distance is different, but the "over the pole" problem still exists. That path does a great job of obliterating the MUF.

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the case in Interior Alaska MOST of the time. They don't call us the Bermuda Triangle of RF for nothing!

8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you've got that right, and it's not that unusual this time of year here in the more northern latitudes.