ad: M2Ant-1

LU1ZI South Shetland Islands

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by 4L5A, Feb 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. 4L5A

4L5A QRZ Lifetime Member #68 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

2. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's British territory, so (a) politically provocative; and (b) unlicenced, depending upon who you ask. Be aware that operation without a licence doesn't count either for DXCC or any other awards.

73 de N3KIP, aka G8VUK (if you hadn't guessed)

3. LU2SDW

LU2SDW Ham Member QRZ Page

In order to prevent my fellow radio collegues from being wrongly informed and so as to avoid talking about things based on some misinformation, though probably not on purpose, I would like to clarify the following:

The South Shetland Islands are part of the Antarctic Peninsula, are therefore exposed to what was agreed in the Antarctic Treaty, signed by 52 countries interested in Antarctica, including Argentina and England. The Treaty has no scheduled date of completion.

Maybe you are confusing the South Shetland Islands with the Malvinas Islands, but you must have in mind that the former are 1180 km South.

73 de Daniel, LU2SDW

4. VK4BGL

VK4BGL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are many countries working cooperatively on the island. I think the convention is that one uses the callsign of the jurisdiction of the base one is staying at. I think this is like having a ship license, where one gets a license according to the registration of the ship.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shetland_Islands