ad: dxeng

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KK7EL, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish more DX used LoTW. However, I remember it was a pain to set up, so maybe that is why more do not use it? Loved getting 9 new countries via LoTW after dabbling in the CQ WPX contest for only a few hours.
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

I was impressed that many did upload within days of the contest; put me over 101 entities on LoTW which is close to my personal count of 133.
  3. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

LoTW is a bit "different" to setup, specially for operators licensed outside the US. But, I don't think I'd go so far as to call it a 'pain'. It just takes time, and carefully following the published instructions. Attempts at short-cuts or 'better ideas' will break things.

Now that some of the Linux distros (I know Fedora does) are including the TrustedSQL applications and associated libraries in their repositories, it's becoming much easier to install.

On the Windows side, LoTW functionality has been built into many of the "monolith' software packages - once setup, it's as simple to use as any other logging software. Easier, in that it also does the QSLing for you!

Similar "all in oneness" - as far as logging goes, is available to Linux users as well - see CQRLog
  4. KD8FYI

KD8FYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I'll have to look at CQRLog. Thanks!

5. KB9ZES

KB9ZES Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When someone comes up with a book: How to use LoTW for Dummies, maybe then I'll understand how to send, convert, add, load and all the other stuff.
  6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

My general hit rate for LoTW is about 25% at best, but that rises to almost 50% with major DX contests. The best way to get DX confirmed via LoTW is to work the major DX contests.

7. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dummy to Dummy

At the bottom of the page is the dummy book (PDF file) I used. There is an implied or direct step-by-step to follow and I don't recall which. You will not complete the process at one sitting at the computer. I don't always know the why or what of a step. Don't really matter, I just did it.

Take the process of sending a SASE QSL card (+ cost) and break it down into the steps needed from completed QSO to dropping the card into the mail box. The correct size envelopes, correct address on the correct envelope etc... No guarantee you will get the card back after spending time and money for each contact.

For LoTW once I am ready to upload/send a file it can contain 1 or hundreds of contacts. Same effort no cost. Ok, so I don't get a paper QSL card which might arrive in 6 months or 6 year or never. If you do want a card and have the QSL in LoTW then send a SASE card and I would bet you have a high success rate.

Just the other day I got a LoTW QSL that I was not sure of until I realized it was 2 years old under my previous call sign. Yesterday I had a QSL from a JT65 contact that was waiting for me when I upload my contact file for yesterday. When I first setup LoTW I processed the contacts in my HRD logbook and uploaded them with a 25% match rate.

The process is not hard, just a lot of steps that don't always make sense, is drawn out and you have to pay attention to each detail at that step of the process. Once I got setup it was worth it for me... maybe not others:confused:

8. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In the CQ WPX/SSB I picked up 39 new band countries on LoTW no new ones, love the contests and DXpeditions.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Logbook of the World accepts as uploads encrypted files that have been processed by the Trusted QSL (TQSL) application.

The encryption is used to ensure that only the originating station actually generated the information. It uses a two key process; that is to say, only your encryption key (password) can be used to unlock it, on the individual side; and the server has it's own key (so they never have YOUR key, so can't accidentally reveal your password).

Trusted QSL, in turn, generally processes two types of files: ADIF format, and Cabrillo (contest log) formats. Most current logging programs can generate log files in either of these formats, and there are conversion utillities for many others available as well.

So the process is actually quite simple; a touch tedious, but quite simple:

(1) Copy the portions of your station log that you want to upload into an ADIF format log, or select the appropriate Cabrillo log file from your contest software.
    (2) Run the TQSL application on your machine, to wit:
    (2a) Select your station location (convenient if you've moved, or operated portable, and so forth)
    (2b) Select the log to encrypt (convert to .tq8 format)
    (2c) Select a date rage if desired
    (2d) Enter your encryption key (password)
    (2e) Wait for the file to process. Note any errors that crop up, these should be fixed prior to upload
    (3) Now upload the .tq8 file, in one of two ways:
    (3a) Log in to the LotW server and upload the file directly
    (3b) EMail the file to

And that's all you have to do to upload a file.

Now before you can do all that, you do have to register for an account. That gets a touch tedious, and it involves a few more steps and waiting on the mail. It's not an instant thing, and I think that's what more than a few people get over-wrought about. But that's a topic for another day. Ultimately, once your account is set up, you get sent a digital certificate ( a .tq5 file) which the TQSL program uses as part of the encryption process... that's how it knows how to set up the server-side encryption key.

And the first time you run TQSL, you have to configure your home location (including county, grid square, and so forth) so that the information is correctly conveyed when the logs are ultimately matched up on the server. Once your primary location is set up, secondary ones (contest locations -- I use this a lot when operating portable in Pa QSO -- , new locations when you move, vacation spots, to say nothing of call changes) can be added at any time.
  10. W5DQ

W5DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Com'on folks .... it ISN'T rocket science or requiring an advanced enginering degree. Follow the instruction on the ARRL website TO THE LETTER and it's as easy as falling down :confused:

I've setup numerous LOTW account for ham buddies and the longest thing is waiting for the post card. If it weren't that, you should be able to do it in minutes INCLUDING UPLOADING your current log in ADIF. I use DX LAb Suite software and with it, it takes only a few seconds to upload a 1000+ QSO log after a contest. Most current software supports LOTW and eQSL. If you're having problems setting up you logging software, don't blame that on the ARRL and LOTW. Ask the vendor for customer support.

I find it hard to believe that hams who can operate sophisticated transceivers like are being used these days can't figure out how to do LOTW??????? Yet everyone raves about how easy eQSL was to setup and there is no difference in my opinion!!
  11. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm at 170 confirmed via LOTW and hav 35% hit rate for 4500 Q's. I really like LOTW.
  12. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

219 confirmed - 41% LoTW QSL rate for 17678 QSO's. i love LoTW, but i also enjoy QSL cards... i have STACKS of them in my living room at the moment, anyone want some...
  13. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I get about 18% confirmed via LoTW. It wasn't THAT hard to set up, just time consuming.
  14. N8XE

N8XE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I too love LOTW, however, I have become lazy when it comes to QSL cards. I know.. I am a horrible ham..

Jason N8XE

(BTW.. got my DXCC with LOTW.. I have enough for the CW endorsement, just need to go get it.)
  15. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great confirmation rate! I also love QSL cards and sometimes still send the bucks to get a DX QSL with nice QSL even if I have them confirmed in LOTW. Hard to tell people look at this check box in LOTW, however look at this QSL card from xxx is always interesting!

16. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

i am a BURO card sorter and see all kinds of cards and know who to target for the really cool cards for my collection... there are some amazing cards out there.
  17. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I recently purchased the N3FJP Software bundle so that I would have a nice simple and easy to use contesting software but also the Amateur Contact Log (ACLog 3.0) which is a basic electronic logbook. I use it because it so so much easier to track what I have work and confirmed and what I need to confirm. Another feature that I find particularly useful not that I have started to use LoTW. The ACLog 3.0 with a few button clicks will convert your .tq5 file over to a .tq8 file without having to go through all the regular steps you would normally do using just the LoTW software. The ACLog not only uploads your contacts but it also downloads your confirmed files with just a few button clicks.

I am fairly new to LoTW and the N3FJP software has made it that much easier to upload/download my contacts.
  18. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

The numbers I previously posted in this thread were a bit misleading. I checked the actual numbers and my hit rate on LoTW is 41% with 11,000 QSOs, all since 2005. I didn't realize it was quite that high. 251 confirmed at the moment (all LoTW). I've also gotten a bit lazy with standard QSLs. I still get a ton via the buro but I'm getting lazy at answering them. I do answer all direct ones quickly. I've got a big stack here I need to enter into HRD . . .

19. UA6JD

UA6JD Moderator QRZ Page

I have 19% LoTW reports from my 50K+ logged QSOs (include 5K USA QSOs -all other DX stations). )Mostly monitoring bands and very seldom CQing (mostly on JT65a).
    Last one LoTW QSL was rx today - V73NS for 2007 multibands QSOs.
  20. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator QRZ Page

More and more DXers are now participating in LOTW.

I mainly work DX. I have uploaded 19341 QSOs to LOTW and have 3080 QSL matches, or 16%. However my QSO’s date back to 1977 when I started electronic logging and hits that far back are virtually non-existent. Nonetheless, my current LOTW DXCC credits number 248 of the total of 304 worked; not bad for one who chooses not to chase paper cards.

One shortcoming of LOTW is in order to obtain a QSL match the uploaded worked station’s callsign must exactly agree in sequence as that appearing on its LOTW Certificate. For example, EA8/DK1XXX won’t electronically match with DK1XXX/EA8. There is no policy as to the sequence to use and even international regulations disagree. ARRL has said “log what you hear” but that is not dependable plus some electronic logging programs require the worked stations entity identifier to be used as the prefix. The workaround is to upload duplicates, one of each sequence; this flushes out more QSL matches.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.