ad: vanity

LoTW begging

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K2CQW, Jun 8, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've sent money and emails to a "semi rare" DX station that I have in my log on two bands. Never a reply. It would be nice if they at least replied that I wasn't in their log.

K2HAT likes this.
  2. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

I can understand your not stating the call sign of that station. I would be very curious to see if we share that station in our "wonder what happened" list of unresolved pitches.

3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA Ham Member QRZ Page

well the whole "art" of confirmation is a mystery to me.
    I had a couple refuse confirmation. That exchange was in the FT8 log. The other was the best, several pictures on SSTV with my previous pic down in the corner - hard to duplicate that artwork.
    I didnt contest their decision, luckily it was easier to replace those contacts.
    Probablyl delete my club log account. I thought it would help by adding confirmation from there into here, but there is no standard between most logging sites and more & more qsl or logging sites are appearing.
    Not happy with the money asking game, wont be doing that. I've worked several stations from the same countries - no confirmation after 6-12 months, thought it might be an internet availability and to be fair it might be but they have very nice web sites with online logs. so...
    A few dxpeditions that I have worked (mostly without knowing that they were) and none have uploaded logs that I could use. I have to admit that I havent a clue what the proper method is since I normally dont chase dxpeditions.
    When looking up callsigns to find location, sometimes the first thing you see is an elaborate list of do's and dont for contacting and then qsling... - I hit the next button, hard enough without deciphering all that, and I get why they list all that
    Having confirmations from popular dx countries (which I appreciate) I think it wll be a real test of patience & luck to get the final 11%.
    Although having said that, had a new country confirm from a 6M contact - nice.
    A couple of rare contacts suprised me, they had the log all done and delivered before I could get the log uploaded, must have had live updating. ha ha
    Makes you wonder what happened to some who say they upload daily or weekly.
    I totalled a paper scratch pad log on the weekend, knocked over a drink just as I sat down to enter into the PC, watched the ink scribble wash into a puddle.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

My opinion, and my opinion only: do not get into the money game.

It'll have to be a very special situation for me to go that route. If nothing else, waiting longer for another contact and confirmation, will keep you motivated.

What will you do after you confirm everything? Time it with your last breath. Not easy, but it's my plan. :D

5. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just remembered I have 'begged'. Tac in Japan responded to my plea in May 2014 for our ssb qso on 15. Love you forever Tac. Domo arigato

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm QSL Manager for a Cuban station. He uses N1MM but errors creep in. We both make about the same number of contacts monthly but I'm always amazed at the number of bogies he gets on eQSL. Had one clown submit 11 QSOs in a 2-day period none of which were valid. He's permanently rejected. Had one guy recently contact 'us' in the attack mode because the contact he made the day before wasn't confirmed. We upload weekly.
    There's some strange folks out there!

K2HAT likes this.
  7. VE3CGA

VE3CGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont understand the cheaters either, seems like more work, why get the license, the radio gear, computer, internet etc.

I do enjoy the smaller challenges that work with emailing a PDF certificate, RAC, Vimy, Fire Prevention Week etc. You send your qso info and its matched with the station log, you can check the matches on their servers. I'll have to look for more of these.

Always thought that email qsling would have replaced the post office qsl. Downside is that its not automatic but same principle as physical mail.

A bit off topic but one thing that is becoming a nasty trend on FT8, - you establish contact with someone and then suddenly they disappear. Next they show up in the middle of another contact. Its like being on the phone and the other party puts you on hold because theres another call.
    They may return 1-2 minutes later but honestly I dont multitask and doubt I would make it into someones log if they are bouncing all over.

yep, its a growing business model today, too bad they dont freely exchange log data and charge for other things. It is frustrating, but eventually....

W4DMK likes this.
  8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Nothing new there, eQSL just made it easier. Long live the double blind system of LoTW.

It's the propagation for sure. The only questionable thing is if he/she gave up on you after just one failed exchange. On the other hand, there are cases of people still calling a non answering station for 10-15 minutes, if not longer.

It's bad out there, hams are not as smart as we would like it to believe. Another off-topic is the guy that begins his post saying he is an EE, and has 250 years experience, and yet he clearly does not know how to use his radio. And it's the fault of the radio! They should at least cover their derriere by saying it's their opinion/wish, not pretend it's fact, since their knowledge is clearly questionable.

K2HAT likes this.
  9. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our "Log Book" is a small notepad :) Obviously some stuff gets thrown away but NEVER a ATNO !!!

KB2FCV likes this.
  10. VK3MEG

VK3MEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi i dont like begging i think your better to keep going, worry about the next contact and yes i know what its like to be getting close to dxcc or was etc and hoping someone would confirm when i started dxing not long ago LoTW was so slow it used to take days for your qso to appear in Lotw. Im assuming these people have said the do lotw. also i approve if you send a person a card with a note to upload as well.
    re: swls's i get a few from eqsl one guy has got me on three separate contacts and bands and he is in asiatic russia he alway identifies the other station.goodluck with the chase.

K2CQW likes this.