ad: AlphaRF-1

Looking to take my Tech test in Los Angeles ASAP

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio License Test Schedules' started by KK6QMS, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I live on the west side near the beach. I am ready! Where and when?
    Thank you-
    Clifford

2. KK6QMS

3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Luck Clifford

Clifford should serve you well on Phone, but you might find yourself shortening that to Cliff on CW. Don't overlook at least a bit of familiarization with the General test as well. I was able to continue on as long as I kept passing elements on just the one fee payment to the VEC. Pass the Tech and take a free shot at the General. Nothing to lose. I take that to be the standard modus operandi at most VEC sessions. Let us know how it goes.

Glenn - AB3TQ

4. KK6QMS

Thanks a lot Glenn!
    I def am interested in CW but have not looked into it yet. I am waiting for my FT-890 to arrive and trying to sort out a power supply for it in the meantime. Very good suggestion about the general test and giving it a shot. I will! I have been using the tests here on QRZ and they have been great. I will give the General a try today just to see how it goes.
    Appreciate your support-
    C

5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or, if you want to try sooner there's this;

Los Angeles CA 90045-3906

EXAM SESSION
    11/08/2014Sponsor: PAPA
    Date: Nov 08 2014
    Time: 7:00 AM (No walk-ins)
    (818) 403-5123
    Email: hamclass@goodkin.net
    VEC: Greater LA VEC
    8751 La Tijera Blvd
    Los Angeles CA 90045-3906

or here;

Pasadena CA 91105-3010

EXAM SESSION
    11/08/2014Sponsor: ARES LAX
    Date: Nov 08 2014
    Time: 11:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
    (310) 775-5613
    Email: jstoker@it.ucla.edu
    VEC: ARRL/VEC
    100 W California Blvd
    1st Fl West Tower Conf. Rm 5
    www.arrllax.org
    Pasadena CA 91105-3010

Hope this helps
    Gary

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  6. KK6QMS

Thank you sir! If I was closer to Pasadena I would do the 11am. Think I will stick with the 15th.
    Regards,
    C

7. KK6QMS

Gary,
    Where did you find that info BTW? I can find no comprehensive location with testing schedules anywhere. The ARRL site is certainly incomplete. Would be nice to have the info out there and easier for n00bs to access.
    Thx,
    C

8. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found that information on the ARRL site. There's another site from the W5YI group. Look at their site here; http://www.w5yi.org/exam_locations_ama.php.

Good luck on the exam and don't forget, go for the gusto!!! That means if you pass the Technician then take the General and then, if possible the Amateur Extra.
    It won't cost you any more and you may walk out of the exam at a higher grade license then you thought. If you don't pass take it as a learning experience for the next time.

Have fun
    Gary

9. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about incomplete, but it is up to the individual organizations to list their test sessions there. I did find the ARRL test session locator to be a bit more targeted and informative. That is how I found my test session. (don't overlook the unlabelled distance set drop-down next to the Zip Code box)

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

I also appreciated this guidance (see link below). I never would never have known to acquire an FRN in advance of the test otherwise (keeps your SSN off the exam paperwork). I did not need the recommended pencil to mark the answers (the session was computerized). Does anyone still present paper to examinees to take the test? I also did not need a calculator very much - for three consecutive tests - but I would not go without one. Just take a simple Trig capable calculator. Nothing fancy. TI is my brand of choice. I was also given a blank piece of scratch paper to use. Might be good to visualize any formula you need to calculate. And all my experience was quite recent. Only one year ago next month.

http://www.arrl.org/what-to-bring-to-an-exam-session

Checking on the link you provided, the $5.00 fee is quite reasonable (mine was $15.00). And they do confirm it is only one fee per day regardless of how many tests you pass. It is not uncommon to allow a retest after a fail if you did not miss by much. Probably depends how busy the session is. They really would prefer to see you pass than fail. The only better deal I ever heard of is FREE. A club member that can afford it takes care of the fee. Very generous of him. The day of my test 15 Boy Scouts opted for FREE over there instead of the $15.00, keeping my session quite a bit less busy.

Again good luck. But the more you study, the less luck you need.

Glenn - AB3TQ

10. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a list of all VECs: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing_5&id=amateur

Their websites collectively have a list of available exams; but as AB3TQ mentioned, it may not be complete.

W4VEC lists the following two regularly-scheduled opportunities in California at http://www.w4vec.com/ar.html

Another VEC that covers California is the Laurel VEC

Their 2014 schedule: http://larcmdorg.doore.net/vec/index.php?pg=Exams14

They don't seem to have too many exams in California, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.