ad: w5yi

Looking for a TNC

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K3WDT, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K3WDT

K3WDT Ham Member QRZ Page

What is a good TNC for a packet beginner? i am looking for something that will last, but is affordable. i need something that i can connect to my Yaesu radio with an 8pin packet port.
  2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

?? which Yaesu radio, HF, VHF/UHF, DC-Daylight ...

Do you mean the 6-pin mini-DIN -- the standard ISO connection?
  3. K3WDT

The FTM350AR. and it is an 8pin DIN. i believe it is the only Yaesu radio with this connection
  4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Your Yaesu FTM-350AR already has an internal 1200 bps TNC (usually used for APRS as mobile),
    and this unit was Yaesu's response to the Kenwood TM-D710.

Yaesu sells an appropriate adapter cable for your mini-DIN 8-pin connector.

Hal Mueller's explanation of FTM-350AR Packet usage (using TNC built into radio)

APRSISCE/32 -
    This needs the Yaesu CT-142 cable (8-pin miniDIN to DE-9, serial)
    Kantronics KPC-3+ is popular and new/used units readily available.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  5. K3WDT

the built in TNC is not accessible from an outside source (ie a computer). basically all you can do is send aprs packets from the radio itself, and display these packets on a computer. what i would like to do is to be able to send messages through APRS from my laptop to the radio then to RF-land. as well as other forms of packet radio.
  6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, the Kantronics KPC-3+ or any APRS compatible TNC (latest firmware) should work.

The Yaesu CT-142 data cable has an 8-pin mini-DIN to connect to the Yaesu radio and
    a 9-pin DE-9 (serial) to connecting to the PC.
    The Yaesu CT-140 data cable is like the CT-142, but includes an extra lead for connecting
    to an external TNC (6-pin miniDIN)

For programming this Yaesu radio these cables must use a USB/serial converter that contains an FTDI USB chip; Prolific USB chips do not work at the non-standard cloning baud rate of 48000 baud used in this Yaesu configuration. -- Yaesu/Vertex Support.
  7. K3WDT

thanks for the help. hopefully i can find a TNC that can connect to my laptop by usb because it has no serial ports.
  8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W4PC

W4PC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.