Looking for a speaker for your rig? Try these...

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KC3RN, Jun 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course a fellow with wood working skill can make a cabinet and that is FB and commendable. I forgot to mention a few more details from my previous post. It's likely that if you find an old cabinet, it will have seen better days, usually meaning that the wood finish will be rough or stained. Some Murphy oil soap, followed by Old English polish will clean it right up. You may only need the polish. It's okay if the cabinet has a bit of "antique stress" to its look as that just adds to the buzzardliness.

I've found most of my paper cone full range speakers at hamfests. Bring along a cheap VOM and inspect the cone for tears. If it is intact, look at the spider between the cone and the magnet (where the coil is) to see if it is undamaged. Then put the VOM across the terminals. If it is 8 ohms, it should read around 5 or 6 ohms DC. A 4 ohm speaker will read around 3 ohms DC. If R is infinite or zero the coil is no good so move on. Most folks don't want these speakers so you can usually get a good 12 inch for a few dollars.

2. W5KCC

W5KCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't want to spend the money on a cheap looking external speaker that sold for anywhere from $35-70 so I used a satellite speaker for a KLIPSCH PROMEDIA 2.1 THX® CERTIFIED COMPUTER SPEAKER SYSTEM.
    Paid $19.99 with free shipping from Ebay. The sound from this speaker rocks as it accentuates the mid-range and highs, making easier to understand conversations.

I have been using the complete 2.1 system with subwoofer on my computer setup for over 9 years and the sound is excellent, so I figured the satellite speaker would work for an external speaker for my IC-7300

Comes with about 8 ft. of polarized cord... merely solder a mono 3.5mm plug on to the cord and you're good to go!

Try it... you will probably be pleasantly surprised!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19bVSvSMHMQ4bd4z-ujt9TDVUopfwKBhE
    [​IMG]

3. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I tended to prefer some old Radio Shack mini cube speakers on radios for a long time. Nice veneer and small driver with rubber surround covers the whole voice range nicely for SSB. But with my 7300, I prefer a Realistic plastic "communications" speaker. Looks unassuming and generic, with the only decoration being silver paint around the edge. But it does a wonderful job on SSB and other communications with that particular radio and has a small footprint. I have matching speakers for my Drake and my old Yaesu that are connected to them but I really don't have the room left for a large box vintage style speaker on that Icom. Nor do I feel the need. Bigger does not always sound better, it depends on the speaker and the radio match. I don't like the other radio's speakers with the Icom at all but they seem to work fine with their matching radio. Why? Who knows.

4. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that they always perform better when they match with the same aesthetics as the rig they are being connected to.....

At least in the case of the 7300 we have a sub menu with audio equalization to make those ugly speakers work almost as good as the pretty ones!

With multimedia 5.1.1 surround sound speakers the center channel speaker seems as if it would be a good choice.

5. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I always wondered the same thing about center channel speakers.