Looking for a good suitable mount fir this Dual band mobile Antenna.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K4EEZ, Apr 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Firs are good for that purpose if you can get it high and clear of other branches.:D

(Sorry but I just had to take that opportunity when I saw your typo)

Diamond makes pretty decent mobile mounts but Larsen may be the best from what I've heard; worth a call to GigaParts or HRO for further suggestions. The Mobile Forum here is another good source for info on stuff like this, too.

Jeff

K4EEZ likes this.
  3. K4EEZ

Too Funy Jeff ;)
    Bought one of them cheapo NMO 3/8th with fitted 17 ft coax +pl plug.. No good, after scratching my wee head.. for... some... time... o_O I concluded. that the, "Center nipple of NMO" (RF HOT) is too short and Dose not make Contact with Center Pin on the bottom of Antenna in question. However, The Antenna and the MNO Mount Are 3/8th Fittings Factors...

However, the Org. mag-mount type NMO fits Just fine so I guess there is a difference in NMO's and its not just the Hole Size, or V/HF U/Ghz its all to do with the "Center Nipple" :rolleyes:.
    oi Mi !! explain that One over the phone to a female Sale Rep! :D

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  4. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just call it the center contact and all the fluster goes away. :)

NH7RO likes this.
  5. K4EEZ

OK thank you all for the replay and Tips, I simply changed out the antenna for a Diamond type also fold over with the s0239 type connection and made my own mount using the same coax run as before... popped on a new Pl259 at the antenna end... guess what... )-(appy to Report it all works ;)
    So, I guess there is a difference in the NMO mounts and not just that is V/HF vs UHF or Physical size ;) but there something to do the the Reach of the Center Contact nipple that don't Reach up in to the antenna RF hot nipple...
    Therefore, the RF was not making it or getting into the antenna, was the Issue as I suspected all along...
    thanks guys for the help ;)

6. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

I experienced that same problem long ago with NMO mounts and antennas. The symptom was fairly decent reception of repeaters, but almost zero transmit range. I temporarily fixed it with a tiny, flat "pill" of aluminum foil on the center contact of the NMO mount. The permanent fix was to abandon FM mobile operation like (nearly) everyone else.

NH7RO likes this.
  7. K4EEZ

Got rid of my NMO Mount and Threw it in the Trash Can! if anybody wants the antenna I let it go for $20 u pay for shipping...
    I will NEVER own an NMO Mount again EVER!

8. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never had an issue with 3/8 NMO mounts. Then again, I never bought a cheap one.

K4EEZ and NH7RO like this.