Looking For A Good Pair Of Headphones For CW.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AF4LY, Jun 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a pair of the Telex 610-1 headphones. They don't have much for lows or highs, are very dependable, cheap and light. I like them much more than my studio headphones for CW due to the band restricted frequency response helps make CW easier to copy in the presence of noise.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    AE7BT likes this.
  2. AE7BT

AE7BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I second that. I got a Telex A610-1 aviation headset off eBay for $25. It was NOS, never used and still in the box. It’s lightweight, comfortable, does the job, and lots cheaper than a fancy Heil. You’re alone in your shack (usually), so who do you need to impress? :cool:

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't know anyone liked the A610-1's! I threw out a set only a couple of months ago.

People here were commenting on "impedance." The A610-1 headphone impedance is 600 Ohms. I know that rarely matters, but just thought I'd bring it up, since it was commented on earlier.

However the main things I didn't like about them were: "Too lightweight" for me; turning my head quickly could make them literally fly off. Stock "cord" is only about five feet long, and not coiled. It could always be extended to make it longer (5' is very short for me), but I like a coiled cord better, so I can stretch it out to ten feet if needed, but then when not needed, it all retracts to just lay on the desk.

There's a good reason mobile microphones and landline telephone sets always used coiled cords.:)

However...the A610-1's actually sounded fine. No complaints about that. Just didn't like the physical properties.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My Heil ProSet Plus headset has two microphone elements (one wide band and one narrow band). The narrow band element is used when fone DXing and contesting. Average power is a touch higher, with emphasis on the more important sibilant sounds.

The headphones are wide band (I rely on the rig's IF filters AHEAD of the receiver AGC detector). Anything outside of the SHARP aftermarket InRad filters just doesn't make it to the headphones. The headphones also have a phase reversal switch that sometimes makes the difference when digging a weak signal out of the din.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Headphones for CW DON'T need mic stalk sticking out in the way !!!

AE7BT likes this.
  6. AE7BT

AE7BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen! I’ve discovered that I hate (hate!) mics on my headset, even for phone.
    Downright annoying when doing CW. I had to search a while to find the right mic-less headset.

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When operating non-fone modes, the dual microphone boom on my Heil ProSet Plus swivels up and out of the way. Unless I look in a mirror, I can't see it. It would be VERY annoying (and costly) to have two headsets for more than one mode, when one gets the job done. :)

!!! <--- matching exclamation marks for equal emotional effect.

8. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood HS-5 great for cw (my only mode). I have a couple of Western Electric 2000 ohm phones from the 1920's that I used with my HW-8. No longer have the HW but will always keep the old phones.

9. KD5FJE

KD5FJE Ham Member QRZ Page

For dual purpose, one of the best studio headphones you can get at only 99 bucks is the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and you can use them w your computer or stereo as well. Best studio headphones I've ever used and work just fine in my HF Rig. They come with a standard mini plug and a gold screw on 1/4" adapter. Might be more than you want to spend for just CW though. Only mentioned them if you're going to use them for other things as well. Can get them online at any music shop. Sweetwater, if you call in your order instead of doing it online, will prob give you a deal on them.
    Cheers!

N1BTC likes this.
  10. KC1BMD

KC1BMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I apologize if I missed it but I didn't see any detail from the OP about how the headphones would be used. I think there would be a difference for base vs. portable use. I also like the Radiosport RS20S (although I need to check how to adjust them because they are a bit tight). If I operate outside, I prefer something smaller and lighter, such as the Koss Porta Pro.