Looking for a CB radio

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE5TOY, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N8WWM

N8WWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Kurt Vonnegut notwithstanding, a ham that lives less than 1 mile from me had his license taken in 2008 after it was proven that he was operating on a frequency above CB channel 40 and below the beginning of the 10 meter band. I heard and saw that one happen. So did a good share of the local amateur radio comunnity.

As for Vonnegut, I suggest getting an anthology of his short stories called Welcome to the Monkey House. For an absolutely hilarious story making fun of the the US government and government projects in general, look in that book and read "The Big Space F***".

2. KD5SPJ

KD5SPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I started in radio on the CB and still use it for what you described you want. Since I have been "into it" for so long and know a bit about it let me suggest this. Stay away from any Cobra 148 that has the mic connector on the front. They are made in China and are a horrid experience on SSB. IF you solely want an AM only unit, try and find a Cobra 29 classic, and try and find an older one made in the Phillipines. They are super reliable and with solely a good alignment sound great. I see them all the time on Cl for under 75 dollars in perfect condition. Otherwise, buy the new Uniden 880 and you'll be in love with the way it sounds on both transmit and receive. It is also a SMT radio and supposedly very reliable. Plus it has a very modern look with the whole front being LCD like many dual band mobiles.

3. KD5SPJ

KD5SPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that just isn't true, and being outright offensive and borderline arrogant is a little harsh. Since you obviously hate the CB radio so much how about you just ignore the posts? A CB radio with a quality mic, and antenna matched to the Hz is very capable of more than 3 miles in AVERAGE conditions. And it is fun to talk to others in other states when conditions permit. And you CAN do this on a measly 4 watts.

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a ham, you are acquainted with many of the technical aspects of radio. That means that you can probably apply much of your knowledge in many radio arenas. I see nothing wrong with being equipped for all the bands you are legally empowered to operate. I don't actually have a CB on the air at the moment - I've got one out in the garage I've been intending to build into a 'go kit', along with my GMRS and FRS radios. I paid for the GMRS license, which cost more than the 2 watt HTs. I've seen 'go kits' with radios for far more services. My Baofeng HT is Part 90 certificated and set up for some Part 90 frequencies I might need, too (not PS). For my ARES teams, I would like them to be known as 'the radio people' regardless of what type of radio is involved.

5. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having a cb in the vehicle can be a real asset if you've got a commute with interstate driving. I drive 40 miles one way on the I-10 corridor every day on the MS coast. Wreck up ahead? Get on 19 and find out which lane to be in, or not to be in. CB is better than any radar detector, and if there's a "brake check" or a "gator" ahead, you'll have a heads-up before anyone else around you.

Dang, I need to put my CB back in! I've got a cheap RS like posted above, and an old Robyn, can't recall the model.

6. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a 25 year old radioshack cb with no bells or whistles with a long fiberglass whip on my tracker for awhile. Alas, both the car and the cb died last year due to age. The trackers transmission and the cb released the magic smoke. I was able to be heard about 6 miles out as long as I wasn't in a valley and I was running no more then 5 watts. I live in the NC mountains if you are wondering about terrain.

7. KB8WBH

KB8WBH Ham Member QRZ Page

Cobra and Uniden both have good compact radios. I've seen both units take quite a beating and come back for more!

8. K4SMB

K4SMB Ham Member

I scanned the 1st 4 pages before I decided to post. I know you asked for a "HAM-like" CB but I'm going to push in a different direction just to give you some options.

I use a Midland 75-822. It is a basic CB (no SSB) and is essentially an HT. But it comes with a cool adapter that plugs in in-place of the battery pack that gives you a Cigarette Lighter plug for 12V & A PL-259 for an external antenna.
    http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR

I bought a Mic Hanger Button (kinda like the link below but technically not that brand) and bolted it into the pocket clip on the back of the 75-822.
    http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-RMB-...=1364394264&sr=1-1&keywords=mic+button+hanger

I don't always have it hooked up but when I want to use it I plug it all in (with external antenna), take my HAM mic off the hanger, and put the CB on the hanger.

It works well when you want a decent CB option but don't want to install an entire unit in your vehicle.

Sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.