Looking for a CB radio

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE5TOY, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was trucking I used to keep the repeaters in the area I was going to or in in my 2M and latter 2M/440 rig. Most of the time they were dead. I made many contacts on 146.520MHz with locals and other travelers. I used to pick up the mic and ID every 10 or 15 minutes. I talked to allot of people that way. When I got my Yaesu FT-7800 it had 1000 memories channels so I also purchased the ARRL's Repeater Directory and programming software and when planning my next trip I could set the rig up to have all the repeaters on my route ready to go. I still worked more stations on 146.520.

I had the CB too. There was so much trash (people) and garbage (noise) on that thing I kept the volume up in case somebody close wanted to warn me of impending doom (Accident, weather, Kojak with a Kodak etc.) but kept the RF Gain all the way down. I could only hear those who were very close.

2. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Compact & Cheap

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12798733

3. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like someone escaped the insane asylum...

IB4TL

4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are negative folks out there and you just have to take what they post very lightly. There was a mention that the Cobra's were sort of okay. I don't know that as fact but he appeared to know it, so perhaps there was a bit of good.
    As for the best CB unit for your purpose some of the postings have suggestions but a forum dedicated to the use of CB units will give you some good information on what is good and what is bad. In a like manner on amateur equipment the cheaper CB units probably won't work as well you want. There may very well be some outstanding unit that isn't overly expensive and again the folks on the CB forums would know which one or ones to try out. You'll need to adapt to terminology which is totally different in most respects and sometimes it's exact the same. Just be ready to re-think a bit.
    I don't know of any CB forums but I'm sure a simple internet search will show where they are.
    BTW asking a question like that on a CB forum will net you so many different opinions you'll need a way to separated the wheat from the chaff. You will get some very good information on what not to buy, that part is easily known. You'd have exactly the same problem if you asked a "What is better?" question on QRZ.
    Good luck and have fun
    Gary

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  5. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with your advice is that on a CB forum he will immediately be steered toward some illegal radio and 5KW CB Linear with a SuperWackoPacks and such. The CB forums are usually a wealth on misinformation. There is a forum that has allot of Hams in it's membership, and at least one of them knows radio better than I ever will, but even he is a CB scofflaw. That would be worldwidedx forums.

A cheap, legal CB is the way to go. Cobra and Uniden have always been good brands to choose from.

6. KE5TOY

KE5TOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the enlightening discussion. I haven't kept up with it as much as I intended due to my brutal work schedule this week.

I like the looks of that Uniden Pro505XL unit, small and compact, all black with an orange backlit screen, like my Yaesu, and doesn't look so gaudy like most of the other CB radios out there.

I've been thinking about the SSB radios. Seems there's only a few CBs out there that will transmit SSB. Is there much CB traffic on SSB? If so, the Uniden 980 looks like the radio to get.

7. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just ignore him. Don't know what he's so uppity and anti-CB about - after all, he uses an Avanti Moonraker IV CB antenna for 10m :rolleyes:

Loads of off-roaders over here use CB for keeping in touch. Generally they go for the cheapest and simplest to use. No point in too many frills.

8. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member QRZ Page

He was a cb'er, oops I mean involved in radio since 1970...... Only a ham for less than 2 years and still has not learned a thing. His friends on CB pprobably wont talk to hime any more since he became an uppity ham...LOL.

9. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish more people in this hobby would realize that there is room for both. I just spent over 4 hours in my truck, and I had both of my radios on. I made more contacts on my 2m/440 rig, but I am happy to have the CB for traffic backups.

It's an honest shame more don't see that there is merit to both.

And yes, CB is full of idiots and illegal stuff because the rules are very restrictive. That's to be expected.

10. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have both in the shack and the car. I have a few friends who were cb'ers and are now hams including my elmer. some were cb friends of mine after I got my ticket. I will not dump on cb'ers just because there are scofflaws in the group.... every group has those...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.