Looking for a CB radio

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE5TOY, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE5TOY

KE5TOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, at the risk of being permanently banned from QRZ....

I'd like to install a CB radio in my truck. Primarily so that I can communicate with other CB users like truck drivers while I'm stuck in traffic due to construction or accidents, and so that I can communicate when I go off-roading with people who have a CB, but not a Ham radio.

The vehicle is my 2010 double cab Toyota Tacoma, which already has a Yaseu FT-8800R.

I've been looking at CB radios online and they all seem really simple, like dumbed down, to me. So,what's the most Ham like CB radio out there? Also, looking for something fairly compact as there isn't a tonne of extra room in my truck.

/flame suit on

2. KC9SQR

KC9SQR Ham Member QRZ Page

You mentioned CB??? Oh the horror!!
    Just kidding :)

Honestly I would suggest a Cobra 29..
    Good radio, not too expensive, not too big, and reliable..
    If you happen to want SSB I would go with a Cobra 148GTL..

I've owned both and both are good reliable CB radios..

3. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you are going backwards...

CB radio is for people without a license.
    It does not require any intelligence.

The Cobra line is the most basic " Legal " transceiver.
    Remember the world LEGAL.
    Because you are a commissioned Licensee - you are not allowed to break any FCC rules.
    Because you are a commissioned Licensee - when you break the rules, the FCC will come down harder on you then on a average person.

Most Import radio garbage offers more power, at the expense of owning the cheapest transceiver with no options and out of band TX.
    Most operates on the CW portion of the bands where it is ILLEGAL to operate phone - even though the band plan is just suggested and not written in stone.
    Most do not even offer single side splash and the ones that does - it doesn't matter, because as long as one trail rider is cheap and refuses to spend the extra denaro - you are all going to be stuck on AM where you throw away most of your transmit power into the carrier.

At one time the Ranger 2950 was as close to a legal IMPORT 10 meter transceiver as you could get. 25 / 50 watts transmit power and would operate on the 10 / 12 meter band.
    It was on the banned list because it was easily modifiable for 11 meters and included a channel indicator. 10 / 12 meters is not channeltized.

The Stryker is probably the number 2 IMPORT transceiver.
    Another ILLEGAL trucker radio that doesn't operate on the legal phone 10 meters portion of the bands and is easily modifiable.

The problem is - they are so expensive, you might as well just BUY a ham radio and convert it yourself. They offer no filtering and once they have been modified to work on the CB frequencies - they need to be aligned, once they are aligned for 11 meters - they no longer work well on 10.

Icom 7000 / 706 and SWAN are the two biggest pieces of crap ever made.
    You can usually tell someone who is operating mobile or using their mobile as a base station - because they sound like crap....
    Both Icom models are modifiable to run 11 meters..... As will the 857 / 840 Yaesu.

The transceiver you presently own - 8800R is just a over glorified CB radio for 2 meters / 70 CM.... It only does AM and FM - no single side splash or CW...

4. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto on the Cobra units -- very sturdy and reliable.

If you want really compact, several companies make an all-in-one unit that can be a hand-held or mobile unit. Everything is in the "mic" housing. You either attach a battery pack and a BNC antenna, or a coax / lighter plug pigtail. Used one for years when I traveled -- long before you could get weather updates, etc... on your phone.

6. KE5TOY

KE5TOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Did say anything about modifying the CB to run illegally? Did I say that I intended to break any FCC rules? Didn't I give two pretty good examples of why I wanted a CB? I'm looking to communicate over a mile or two at most, where there are many more CB operators out there than there are Hams. And I'm not interested in running mobile HF or DXing. It's really about the basic utility of being able to communicate with more people than just other Hams, none of whom am I going to be stuck in traffic or out riding trails with.

But thanks for the informative and on topic suggestions. :rolleyes:

7. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On occasion, I too, have been known to have a CB in the truck...

Yes, it was/is a Cobra. I was also going to mention the Cobra 29 as a good solid radio that is not too big. I use a 148 simply because I had it already.

The thing is, I've run mobile ham radio many times before, and when I really needed an assist, I was totally ignored. This was by a 40 meter net that supposedly existed for the sole purpose of assisting, not just mobiles but any ham who needed help. I logged into the net, asked for a message to be relayed to the Oregon DOT, and was totally ignored. Then they continued on with their daily checkin and gabfest.

Who actually got the DOT on site? Truckers with CB's (and it must be admitted cellphones). This just happened to be the same truckers who were all in a pile blocking the bridge in one of the worst ice storms that I've ever seen, bar none.

Those guys blocking the bridge probably saved me from the same fate. It took ODOT five hours to clear the mess, and I was stuck right in the middle of it, unable to go forwards or back because of the trucks stuck on the ice.

Ham radio at that point was not helpful, and shortly thereafter the ham rig came out of the truck, Not because of the lack of utility, rather it was insurance problems that made it come out, and so far I've not seen a reason to put ham radio back. I don't have a CB in there either.

73 Gary

8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you suggesting that hams are intelligent? From what I've heard on some bands, a lot of them aren't...

9. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

CB radio's have always been simple because that is how the service is designed. Channel selection, volume and squelch. That's all that's needed. I'd forget about trying for a ham look it over complicates things. The RS model in post #4 looks pretty good. Also look at the Uniden 510 & 520 models. Inexpensive, compact, few bells and whistles, they get the job done.

10. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! What an attitude. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.