ad: Morse-1

Look at this!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KO6WB, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, I have until about the first of next month to move. This is always a pain and getting the the right place in the right area is one of the tasks that we as amateur radio operators have to be very careful of. So, I'm looking at craigslist and found what appears to be a moderately nice home in a good neighborhood.
    This is a look at the front of the house;
    View attachment 116575
    Not bad and there's room in the back large enough for an RV. I don't have one but hey, room is room.
    Looking at the other pictures was okay. The reason it's here in this forum and not Rag Chew is because of this next picture;
    View attachment 116576
    Anybody else see what I see?
    This could be a good move!!!
    Further details are forthcoming and I just hope this is what it appears to be.
    I may actually fall into it and come out smelling like a rose.
    Have fun
  2. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is that a Hazer I see? If so, may you be covered in that into which you fall. :D
  3. KO6WB

Update: looked at the outside and it's definitely a tower. A previous owner, not the current one, was an amateur radio op. There appears to be a ham shack in the backyard along with a garage.
    For the kids the school is not very good and that may be a problem.
    If there's a ham shack then I'm sure there'll be 240 to it.
    Did I just skip over the kids and revert back to amateur radio? Maybe!
    The yard is huge with loads of area for the pets and the kids. Do I need to mention antennas?
    A inside look is tonight at 6:30, stay tuned.
  4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck, be rooting for you....
  5. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, what a find . . . !!!!! And you shouldn't have to worry about c&c's against towers, etc.

I wonder where you'll be spending your free time . . . ???

Gary WA7KKP
  6. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

The kidz will acclamate to school.
    GRAB the house.

Kids going to school: $ 5000
    New house: $ 10,000
    House WITH tower : PRICELESS !
  7. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder what the price of the house is?
  8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

Boy I'd tell me you really love the place, but the tower has just "got to go" and make them knock something off for that!! :)
  9. AF6LJ

I would be scared they would just go and knock it down and ask if the price was okay. :)
    I think I would not give any hint of being interested in the tower, unless they say something.
    If they do; ask about the local FM radio stations and express an interest in local Jazz and classical music stations.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the school options (public, private, home)?

73 de Jim, N2EY
  11. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

You know they say Abraham Lincoln was self taught, and he grew up to be president. Just say'n....:rolleyes:
  12. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Kids you only have for a few years, ham radio is forever!
  13. KB9LXP

KB9LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

What a chance for a great deal. Clam that you need to chop some off the price to have the "ugly" tower removed!!! Than save that for a new 6 element beam!!!!!!
  14. KO6WB

Okay guys you have to remember this is California so the price for renting is 1300 bucks a month. Elsewhere this would be much lower but if it was in the LA basin it would be much more.
    The schools here have a rating system from 0-10. The one the kids go to now is rated at an 8. The one nearby the house under consideration is a 2 (ouch). There are other schools nearby that have a rating of 8 and they have open enrollment at that one. You would have to take the kids there and pick them up.
    Okay back to the house. It's a three bedroom with a 250 square foot basement aside from the ham shack out back. Basements in California are uncommon. The floors are hardwood. They allow pets which is nice for the cat and two dogs we have.
    Now, about ham radio being forever. That's true. Having the kids for just a few years is...well...maybe not so much. You don't get them the proper education they are going to be home a very long time.
    Back to the tower. It appears about 65 feet or so and currently has a star up on top as a Christmas decoration. That's gotta go.
    I'm mulling around what the antenna possibilities are. I have one in mind that I have been considering for the longest time. Have never heard anybody else using this antenna and I'm just curious about it. Takes loads of wire, some relays and coax. Just a thought for now.
    I'm still holding in reserve the idea of living there and I'm still seeking other options. A lot of them are lower in cost and some are more.
    Still three hours before viewing the inside of the house itself and the other portions of the habitable areas and the kids are going along. They want to see the big backyard.
    Next update will be when I return from the viewing.
  15. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice house like that only $1300 a month. You should jump on it.
  16. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

$1300/mo in L.A. would be "impossible.":p Basements are very unusual. But looking at the photos, a house anything like that 'round here would be $3500/mo, maybe more if it's really nice inside.

What town is that in? My daughter rents a 1-BR, 1-BA 850 S.F. apartment in W. Hollywood for $1900/mo and thought that was a good find.:eek:

Anyway, if you can take advantage of the "8" rated school, that sounds like a good option. I'd look into why the closer one is a "2." There may be a reasonable explanation, like they just built it last month or something.
  17. AF6LJ

Down here you couldn't touch that place for 1300 it's twice that here.
  18. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I thought all the schools in California sucked, some more than others. I could tell some horror stories, but I hope times have changed in 50 years. Racial segregation was a big problem with I grew up in Stockton, where we were bused to achieve segregation, not integration. I, an 'Okie', attended a different school from my Hispanic neighbor kids, and nearly all the blacks in town attended another school. My school was in the middle of a black neighborhood, but all the black kids were bused across town. My guess is the '2' school was either the black or Hispanic school there.

Wow - the house looks like a find. I hope you find it livable, and go for it. $1,300 would not be unusual for renting a house that size back here, either. A nice one bedroom apartment will run you $7-800 here, and more in some cities. You don't have the big heating bills we have in the winter, but if you run the AC in summer, you pay. Swamp coolers really do work out there! That's all we ever had.
  19. KO6WB

Okay, had the look-see of the place and the folks back in 1939 really had some strange ideas on floor layout. I seemingly got lost at every turn. I could remember the room I was in and suddenly I was there again. Different door, same room. There is a central room where all of them come together. There are doors to the east, west, north and south. There are two dog doors but I only could find one. One is good. The tower is very sturdy made from materials only dreamed of decades ago. No rust and it has a hazer. Didn't try to operate it just yet. There are two backyards. One is very large with a swing set and sand box. The kids were beside themselves with joy. My roommate likes it. My impression was that it had a separate ham shack out back was not quite right. It's a workshop. No garage so parking would be on the street. The basement was the place for the amateur gear. It's very roomy and musty.
    The kids liked it, the roommate liked it and I liked it. Got an application. Found out the landlord is in the same career field as I am. He works in the oil fields and I work in the cement industry as instrumentation/electrician. Guess which one pays more:rolleyes:! His XYL is a school teacher and in discussions concerning the school the kids would need to attend she always seemed to cringe. She said most folks ship their kids off to other nearby districts. So, this is a sticking point in the consideration of this place. If there is a way to overcome this one thing then it'll be a go.
    The plan is to directly challenge the school administration about the problem and why they are rated so poorly. What is their plan to resolve this? Have they recently gone up to a 2 from a 1 or did they drop from a 3 to a 2 rating.? We are making a list of things that other parents have complained about and will be asking for any type of addressing of these concerns. After drilling the school administration the focus will pivot to the district offices and see why they allowed one of their schools to drop so badly and what they plan to do to bring it up to standards. Depending on their answers balances the difference between "yeah" or "nay". No kids, I'd have a QTH all ready for some amateur radio fun. Heavy sigh!!!
    The search is still on. Did any of you know there are scammers in the house rental areas as well? Got an e-mail from one. They lay it on thick. These folks actually admitted they are in West Africa presently on missionary work. Yeah right! their mission is to deprive me of my money. Sorry, no go.
    Stay tuned. It's not over.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  20. AF6LJ

More important is how the school administrates answer your questions as apposed to what answers they give you. You know they will lie where it will make them look good. My parents and my brother went through that with administrators here in California.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.