ad: Alphaant-1

Logging?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by N4RBZ, Jul 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N4RBZ

N4RBZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As I approach the reality that I will soon be making HF contacts, I realize that logging could be a real benefit. I personally am fine with just keeping a paper logbook, but I have read and understand that many of you put forth a lot of effort in logging and confirming, for various reasons. I have created a QRZ logbook for future use and fully intend to use it. However, I want to be a good neighbor and ask, is there anything else I need to do to insure that "you" will get qso credit if so desired?

Jason

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N4RBZ likes this.
  3. N4RBZ

Question,,,,,, do I have to? I have no interest in them,,, so do I have to join those for you to get your desired confirmations,,, or does logging here at QRZ get the job done?

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use both and as suggested, a good idea
    I have a free logging program on the PC (winlog32) and after a ham session I can export the new logged qso's to lotw or qrz or to eqsl.
    Most of the digital software I use will insert the log into it. I find its a lot easier to log into the PC logbook then upload into qrz for regular qso's or lotw for satellite qso's, I upload into eqsl weekly. For my logging this is about as streamlined as I can get it - 1 local logbook that I can control,edit, backup or use offline, then upload inro qrz or lotw, sync the 2 in qrz's logbook and update eqsl when I need
    Using lotw helps in 2 ways. some log there and not here so with a paid subscription here it allows you to import and export qsl's back and forth on a button click in the logger page. this will boost your confirms or add qsl's from lotw to here. also if you do satellites, this logbook doesnt yet use the satellite data to send to lotw, but if you send your log data to lotw, it will have it logged as a sat contact, you can import that from lotw to here and it will bring in contact info, just not register it as a sat qso. so its a win for both the log here and lotw if you ever want to get arrl dxcc or was awards.
    as for eqsl lots are using it but due to its no secure confirmation ( more on this in the log book forum ) you cant use a qsl there as a confirm here or in lotw but...
    its a very good way to get a qsl card electronically.
    sounds complicated and if you have good internet, dont care for awards, contests, or certificates and just want to have 1 log, then qrz should work ok plus there are awards here too, but if you sync with lotw then you will miss a lot of confirms, its the main reason I have a paid qrz account

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you certainly don't have to . A larger number of hams use LoTW and eQSL than QRZ. Then there's HRDLog. Some use them all, some use only one, some don't use any online service. I use them all and keep a paper log and send out paper QSLs as requested.
    I hope I have all my bases covered both for myself and others wanting a confirmation.

N4RBZ likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you ever want "awards that count" you really should do LoTW. The only way you can ever earn the "official" Worked All States, DXCC, Triple-Play, etc. is to apply with LoTW. Sure, QRZ offers awards. But the big ones are ARRL.

You can upload QRZ to ARRL / LoTW (using TQSL) and you can likewise download from LoTW to QRZ

Why not do them all? :)

Dave
    W7UUU

7. N4RBZ

Thanks Dave,,,, there's the rub, I don't care about points or awards for myself, at least not yet. However, I want to be courteous and not be the reason your confirmed qso percentage is low. I just want to do the minimum so that "you" can get points if that's what you are seeking.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ah! That makes sense. And absolutely correct - doing ONLY QRZ logging is just fine then because LoTW users can just export from QRZ into LoTW. Easy peasy

Dave
    W7UUU

N4RBZ likes this.