Logging software

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by W3PNM, May 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
  1. W3PNM

W3PNM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm finally getting back into the hobby and am interested in comments on best Mac logging software

Bill - W3PNM

2. OK8LEO

OK8LEO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using Rumlog as logging tool, and with JT-Bridge Data from WSJT-x will be automated updated
    good luck

3. NS3L

NS3L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Top Logging program is MacLoggerDX .. Hands down..

W2SAP likes this.
  4. M0CLH

M0CLH Ham Member QRZ Page

It has to be Tom Lindner's RUMLogNG -it's free (donations gratefully accepted!), comprehensive, regularly updated and works beautifully with Fldigi, JT-Bridge and WSJT-X.

5. K3DCW

K3DCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are three main logging programs; RUMlogNG, Aether, and MacLoggerDX.

RUMlogNG is available from www.dl2rum.de or via the OS X App Store. It is available free of charge and is a great program.

Aether is available via the OS X App Store and runs $39. You can also get it from www.aetherlog.com

MacLoggerDX is available from http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html and is $95.

All three are more than adequate for logging. All three have great strengths and their own unique weaknesses. All three have free trials available (or completely free in the case of RUMlogNG) and I strongly recommend you try out all three and find the one that best meets your needs. Both MLDX and RUMlogNG have portable versions available for iPad users as well.

There are some other logbooks available for OS X including some excellent contest loggers. A link to all of the available OS X logbooks (that I'm aware of) can be found at http://www.machamradio.com/links/#Logging.

6. WA1OUI

WA1OUI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know what your operating situation is, of course, but be sure whatever you pick will allow interoperability with other programs... I use MacLoggerDX, and have one click logging from both WSJT-X and fldigi. Also be sure that you can figure out how to connect your rig (assuming it is new enough!) to the logging program. It is really neat to have one click logging... time of day is an obvious, but frequency and QRZ info makes it really convenient. I can't imagine operating without a computer any more!

K3DCW likes this.
  7. K3DCW

K3DCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, David. That's one thing I failed to mention earlier; all three major logbooks are accessible (and extensible) by use of AppleScript, providing features and capabilities that can be extended from programs like Fldigi, JT-Bridge/WSJT-X, and more.

8. WA2BFW

WA2BFW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use RUMlogNG and it works just fine with my FTdx-3000 and microKeyer II.

9. NB8F

NB8F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

MacloggerDX here. I also hear Aether is getting a lot of work done to it. Been a while since I have heard from the creator of it though.

I just wish MacloggerDX was a little "prettier". In general the tool is fantastic, but could use some aesthetics and UX updates.

10. W8NOR

W8NOR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree with you on the "looks" of the MacLoggerDX. I don't care for the layered windows. I used HRD on an old PC previously and loved how it formatted and displayed the various windows. I re-activated an old MacBook Pro laptop to run MLDX and it's doing a good job. The contest logging works very well (would be nice to have integrated Cabrillo export) and the band window is very helpful. Lots of great features. It talks to my Yaesu FT-DX1200 without any problems. I used Aether previously and it also worked well but had limits. Both provide good support.