ad: M2Ant-1

Logging program & hardware compatible with Mac

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by AF7XI, Nov 24, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM pointed me to this part of the forum- I'm grateful as I didn't know it existed (newish ham).

I'm looking for a good logging program compatible with Mac OS. As far as I can tell I need a CT-39A cable, but I don't what to put on the wired ends.

What's a great Mac compatible logging program and what accessories do I need to run with my FT-450D?

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For logbook on OS X, you have 3 main choices: MacLoggerDX, Aether, RUMlogNG. The first is available from Dog Park Software on the web. The other two are available for purchase from the App Store, but have free trials available on the web as well. All three are excellent, and I strongly recommend that you try all three and find the one that works best for you. Each is unique and has their own strengths and weaknesses.

If you decide to run one of them, then two of them cost money: MacLoggerDX is $95 and Aether is $40. RUMlogNG is free. Links are available in this forum at https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/os-x-macos-amateur-radio-software-links.536534/, or on the MacHamRadio website (www.machamradio.com).

AF7XI likes this.
  3. DF1HX

DF1HX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a happy user of 'RUMlogNG' on my 13" MBP with 'Sierra' (10.12.1).
    Interacts fine with my KX3 via USB, LotW and 'Clublog' via internet/WLAN as well. 'eQSL' is possible as well, however I do not use that.
    Support by the author, Thomas [DL2RUM] is excellent, he runs a website including a 'forum' [1] as well.
    'RUMlog' is 'donationware' you can run it for free however I donated Thomas EUR 30 (abt USD 38) to honour his nice work and excellent support.
    Cheers and happy thanksgiving, thomas [DF1HX]

[1] http://dl2rum.de/forum/

AF7XI likes this.
  4. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great information Thomas- thank you. What cable do you run from your rig to your Mac? That seems to be a sticking point for me thus far...

5. K8AJS

K8AJS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FT-450D has a DB-9 connector to enable CAT communication from your computer to control the radio. All you need is a USB-to-DB9 serial adapter to make the connection. I've used Tripp-Lite units (formerly Keyspan) for years with good success. The drivers are built into recent versions of Mac OS X are all you need to allow communication using your logging software.

https://www.tripplite.com/usb-serial-adapter-cable-usb-a-db9-male-male-5-ft~U209000R/

Hope this helps.

John K8AJS
    jbastin1@me.com

6. DF1HX

DF1HX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered the KXUSB cable with the radio from QRPPROJECT, the official representitive of Elecraft here in Germany. The cable connects to the radio at the 'computer control port ' (ACC1) with a 3,5mm stereo plug. The cable's 'computer end' has a standard USB plug, the plug is a little bulky since it contains the USB <--> serial converter chip. As far as i remember i downloaded rhe required driver software for the chip from the website of the chip's manufacturer or from Elecaft. The setup runs 'like a champ' i did not experience any issues with the cable or the driver software yet.
    Cheers, thomas