ad: elecraft

Linux users: What logging program do you use?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by K4NYA, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
  1. K4NYA

K4NYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently made the switch from XP to Ubuntu and need to find a decent logging program. I've test driven xlog & klog, but wasn't really impressed with either. Got HRD to install via wine, but I can't get the logging program to launch. Any other I should look into? Should preferably be a to export to LOTW.
  2. BX2ABT

BX2ABT Ham Member QRZ Page

Try CQRlog. Excellent piece of software, integrates well with fldigi. Does export/import LoTW and eQSL and is under constant development/improvement. The only gripe I have with it are the key bindings, but that is because I hate using a mouse. Good luck.

3. VA7GP

VA7GP Ham Member QRZ Page

While it's not much help to you, I have been OK with xlog. Maybe that is a result of using it for so long, when there were no alternatives. Like Hans above, I've looked at CQRlog, but it wouldn't install on my 64-bit Gentoo machine (required some 32-bit libraries which weren't in the Gentoo repositories). I liked the appearance of CQRlog, though.

For some digital-mode contests, I have just used the logging-capability which is built into fldigi - however, this really isn't a good general solution for CW, SSB, etc.

All-in-all, I think I would echo Hans' suggestion to take a look at CQRlog and see what you think.

4. BX2ABT

BX2ABT Ham Member QRZ Page

@Gord: you're right, Fldigi also has logging capabilities. If you have rig control set up this would be better for contesting than CQRlog, which lacks serial number/exchange support. Fldigi also exports cabrillo, even though you have to edit the output before sending it in.
  5. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

So is CQRLOG and XLOG all there is for Linux?

I have used CQRlog for some time. It's a very nice piece of work, but I don't like way the drop-down "Frequency:" list feature works at all! Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it appears that we cannot customize it, and there's no 60 meter support. (I simply HATE having to type in the 60M freqs all the time.)

I just posted a suggestion on the forum. We'll see what happens.

I've tried some Windows logging sofware under WINE, but none of them worked right.

EDIT: Please reply to me directly, as I am unable to subscribe to this thread due to a bug on This post only intermittenty appears in my browser and I may never see your reply. TIA
  6. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

With rig control set up in CQRlog, I never have to bother with the Frequency box. Mike, make certain that 5 MHz is checked in CQRlog's Preferences|Bands dialog. I don't bother with 60m so I don't have it checked.

Off the top of my head, there is also Klog, dbLog, TWlog, and probably more in various states of development and features.
  7. W0BTU

The issue I mentioned with the QRZ database seems to be solved. No need to reply directly as I requested above. Now to more important matters...

Nate, checking 5 MHz (or any other band) in CQRlog's Preferences|Bands dialog does nothing. All the bands there Except 5 MHZ display in the drop-down "Frequency:" list regardless of what is checked or unchecked.

What could be wrong, and how do we solve this? I've looked through the config files and see nothing about bands or frequencies. Maybe the main config file is corrupted? I have uninstalled and reinstalled CQRlog but nothing changed.

Enabling rig control is probably good advice. The last time I thought about it was when I had my IC-751A. Maybe it's easier to to with the rig I use now, an IC-765. But I'd like to figure out what is wrong before I try that!

EDIT: could someone please send me their ~/.config/cqrlog.cfg file ? TIA! :)
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  8. RO2F

RO2F Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K7GQ

K7GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another alternative is jLog from Support is a little light but it does a decent job.
  10. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike, looking through ~/.config/carlog/cqrlog.cfg I don't find anything regarding the frequency drop-down. I can confirm what you're seeing as I have CQRlog 1.4.1 installed and even after enabling 5 MHz in the Bands dialog, it does not display 5 MHz in the drop-down menu. Even restarting the program the drop-down does not show 5 MHz. This is a bug that should be reported to the CQRlog Bugs forum.

Also, I'd advise against sharing the .cfg file as personal data is stored in it.
  11. W0BTU

I'm glad to learn it's a bug. That'll save me from wasting any more time trying to fix this myself.

I posted this last week to the Wish List forum on, in response to another ham who appeared to have a similar program. If he doesn't reply, then I will post again to the Bugs forum.

There was one person there who recently reported that the author was kind of overwhelmed with trying to balance family responsibilities and maintaining CQRlog. I think I ought to give him a little time.

Thank you, Nate (and the others who replied). :)
  12. W0BTU

The author (Petr) of CQRLog has solved the above issues in a wonderful way.
    I can now highly recommend CQRLog version 1.5.1.

I would add that it's worth paying for. He accepts donations in whatever amount.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  13. W0BTU

Just looked up a couple of callsigns (including my own) in CQRLog, and QRZ returns the following error:

Tag "<Key>" not found!

Anybody else have this problem?
  14. W0BTU

15. NW9M

NW9M Ham Member QRZ Page

I am still trying to get it loaded. It loads and then I get an error message but I haven't had time to re-install it yet and it will probably be another week before I can get to it. I am using an Acer Aspire netbook with 10.04 (lucid lynx IIRC).
  16. W0BTU

CQRLog requires Unbuntu 12.04. I forget why, but the reason are nicely explained somewhere on

I switched to, since the latest database upgrade --like several others in the past-- doesn't work with my paid subscription to the database.
  17. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

cqrlog works fine for me on Gentoo.

18. IT9GCG

IT9GCG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

19. KA1DBE

KA1DBE Ham Member QRZ Page

For general logging I use cqrlog. For contesting, I use yfktest, JLogger, tqlf, and just recently stumbled upon kb. I also use Fldigi for digital contesting. 73's
  20. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CQRLog is only maintained by Petr for Ubuntu 12.04 (and probably then 12.10 going forward) as he has limited time on his hands and
    can't maintain repositories for various distributions. Someone is maintaining it for Fedora AFAIK.
    You can install CQRLog on any other distribution (used it for a long time on OpenSUSE) as Petr provides the binaries as a tar-ball. Or just
    dive into Lazarus and FreePascal and build it from source :).

73 Mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.