ad: M2Ant-1

Limited FCC Operations In The Event Of A Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA6ITF, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5BRM

W5BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Passed my Extra on 9/20. My ticket hasn't been officially upgraded yet. Guess I will have to wait for my paper license and see when my upgrade appears online.

2. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

God bless America...where fools can be in power.

Enjoy ..................

3. N6JRZ

N6JRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it looks as if the G.O.V. has officially shut down according to news sources this morning. So much for those of us on a fix/limited income such as myself (SSDI) The (self edit) that caused all this is now on vacation. *SMH*

4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1st things first...

It will show up online first, then the paper copy will arrive in the mail. But since you have your CSCE, you're good to go anyway. (You DO have your CSCE, don't you. ;))

Regards,
    -Bruce
    WE4AU

5. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From KC9EE: "By the sounds of certain 75, 40 and 20 meter freqs, I believe we wouldn't have anything to lose. Of course I don't mean that. It's just pitiful to hear the language used and all the antics. Sounds remarkably similar to 11 meters. Of course China Town reminds me of China. Go figure."

Unfortunately, you're right. I quit 11 meters back when all the "good buddies" started getting on the band after those inane trucker movies came out many years ago. Now when I hear on the ham bands some of the language, music being played, jamming, recording others' transmissions and playing them back on the air, I sometimes wonder if I'm back on the Children's Band. The sad part is that the FCC basically has one, count 'em, one person in charge of regulatory enforcement on the Amateur bands. Somehow I don't think we'll miss her too much during the shutdown.

6. W5BRM

W5BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

lol yep sure do

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. N5NNS

N5NNS Ham Member QRZ Page

I could not agree more....

Having been licensed for 33 years and seeing the changes and lack of enforcement I just shake my head. I was off the air for a few years and am getting my station in order since we moved to the mountains. We need the "ladies and gentlemen" of yesteryear. I have heard garbage language, extremely improper operation and as stated phrases normally associated with CB. In my teens everyone had a CB an 90% were polite friendly and helpful. Then came the huge ham and other amps, 100-200 foot towers, stacked Moonrakers and of course out of band radios. I knew of one man who the FCC did shut down and he was running who knows what amp but at 100 miles he was full scale. He got in to Church P.A.'s He would talk over anyone to prove he could.

Now as noted I hear "Hello radio, hello audio and MAN THIS THING IS A SWINGING!" on 75 and 40. Not communication with anyone just saying it. And by the tuning and signal I assure you the legal limit is the bottom of those people's scales. I saw one blog where a ham was selling a Collins Commercial amp. 4 watts in 10 KW out. I will work those bands for ragchew and dx but I refuse to get in to any group that acts that way. Am I better? no, HAM radio is better. I wish to work the hobby and service as it is and do no harm. I wish to help if I can. I wish to be polite and operate according to the rules and established protocol. I do not need anyone to tell me to do this. It is my pleasure and honor to be a HAM just as it is to meet; in person or on the the air other like minded hams. I will not argue with anyone regarding the negative practices. That is not ham radio. To me it has always been a blessing and privilege to operate. I called an emergency net on 75 for 3 years and then managed that net or 3 years. Again this was my honor and pleasure to serve.

I am so glad to see all of the fine comments from real ham operators. Stick to your guns, we will outlast the others.
    George
    N5NNS

8. KI6MUH

KI6MUH Ham Member QRZ Page

oh lord. what a joke. lets furlough congress

9. KI6MUH

KI6MUH Ham Member QRZ Page

oh lord. what a joke dc is right now

10. WV1H

WV1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The document states that the High Frequency Direction Finding equipment is considered vital to national security for some reason, and will still be manned and maintained, so I guess we all still have to behave. Oh well...

11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

They might be still listening, but, if FCC Special Counsel Laura Smith is furloughed, the official Amateur Radio "Enforcer", there wont be any body around to process the paperwork!

I would think that monitoring us Part 97'ers would not be deemed as "essential", let alone vital to national security. So Ms. Smith may be on an unpaid holiday.

However, I wonder if the FCC HF monitors are occasionally out-tasked to the NSA (?)

12. G8KTX

G8KTX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Who is the bigger fool? The one in power, or the one who elects him/her?

13. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably because intercontinental aviation frequencies are on HF. I don't think the FCC is concerned much with the bitter clingers on 80m or the pay-to-pray HF broadcasters.

14. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Licenses have been shifted over to Cracker Jack boxes.

15. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Licenses have been shifted over to Cracker Jack boxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.