ad: w5yi

Let's see your mobile radio setup

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N4CYA, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ6GCR

KJ6GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

New here, and new to the world of Ham Radio. Do lots of solo exploring in the mountains on a small motorcycle. Have a 2 meter handheld and a FT2900 along with a Spot emergency satellite transmitter. Once I figure out how to use all this high-tech stuff, I should be ok.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here goes. Well you did ask:

cell-phone.jpg

3. N8NMB

N8NMB Ham Member QRZ Page

KD8SES- my mobile set up

here is mine its a yeasu ft350m in a 2011 Gmc canyon crew cab mounted the radio unit under the rear seat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. K3GM

K3GM Ham Member QRZ Page

View of the cockpit of a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe showing the IC-7000 in the console, and the FT-8900 (10m,6m,2m,70cm FM) on the dash. Antennas (3) for the FT-8900 are NMO mounts in the roof. For HF, it's a hitch mounted High Sierra HS-1800. The view below shows the scheme I used to insure adequate grounding of the antenna to the body and frame. Inaddition, the doors, hood, rear hatch, frame and exhaust system are bonded either with copper strip or braid.
    k3gm-7.jpg
    k3gm-2.jpg

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

The 2005 Lincoln Town Car is the PREMIER Land Yacht for cross country travel. So I installed the BEST mobile station money could buy. And, coming up here in 2 weeks, this will be the 3rd Transcontinental mobile DXpedition from San Diego to Dayton and back.

Here is the layout:
    [​IMG]

Icom IC-706MK2 for 75-6M SSB. Icom IC-2720 for 2/450 FM and Kenwood TM-331A for 222FM.
    Also an APRS Tracker system and Voltage readout of the Gel Cel. Dual needle wattmeter for the HF.

[​IMG]
    This case holds a 40AH Gel Cel and battery booster. So there is no chance that running the radio will run down the car starting battery! You can also see the 4 position coax switch (which has been expanded to 2 more positions) and the LDG Z-100 auto antenna tuner

[​IMG]

Inside the case. The auto electrical system recharges the Gel Cel. The 706 body is under the drivers seat behind this battery box.

and now, the biggest "WTF????" getter on the road!
    [​IMG]

going clockwise from the far left corner:
    Hamstick #1 (currently with a 6 meter Hamstick on it)
    2M/450 Antenna
    222 Antenna
    6 meter NMO mount in center of back lid
    Chickenband antenna in center of trunk lid
    2M APRS whip on front of right deck lid
    Maldol 20-15-10 HF Antenna
    Hamstick #2 on rear right corner (currently a 40M hamstick)

Just acquired and ready to go are 12 and 17M Hamsticks, and 20 Meter if the Maldol isn't performing. Also in the trunk is spare 75M and other Hamsticks should some get lost or ripped off.
    As an Emergency, there is a Comet UHV-6 HF antenna and a Outbacker antenna, ready to go with quick disconnects. Everything has to be backed up.

Of course, Hamsticks are very marginal antennas, but they work good enough for NO HOLES mounting on the trunk lid. Absolutely NO HOLES WHATSOEVER are allowed to be drilled anywhere in the Town Car!

Someday (when the cows come home), I have a Screwdriver antenna that can be mounted on a trailer hitch that will replace about half these antennas! But till then, it is the ultimate PORKY PINE!

Not a day goes by that I don't see someone at a stoplight taking a cellphone pic of the Town Car with a WTF?

YES I DO NEED EACH AND EVERY ANTENNA! And now, with the addition of the 12 and 17M hamsticks, I really need 2 MORE antenna mounts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.