Least "fussy" gear (include antenna)

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W7CJD, Dec 15, 2015.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

What is your least "fussy" gear for portable QRP or QRP at home?

Details, please.

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Fussy?
    Do u mean complicated and difficult to set up and use?
    I have some MFJ QRP rigs that have 3 knobs, VFO, RIT and volume ! The MFJ Cubs only have VFO and Volume knobs.
    What else could you need for simple operation ! I use a single band rig and single band dipole antenna on camping trips, just throw a rope rope in a tree and haul it up kind of antenna !
    I can use 40 or 30M rig and the right antenna to go with it.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have it any more, by I'd say my old Ten Tec 509 Argonaut took the cake.
    Eric

4. WY1C

WY1C Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom 703, easy to use and built in tuner and end fed wire, super easy setup

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

My end fed antenna. It's a piece of wire with a tennis ball on one end so I can throw it up in a tree. It's a PIECE OF WIRE! No fuss! Nothing to break, well, I guess you could break the wire but I haven't yet. No batteries to replace, nothing to calibrate, doesn't wear out, low cost, easy to troubleshoot, widely available in different colors, no instructions needed, act now, quantities limited, makes the perfect gift, operators standing by.

Steve
    KV6O

W8ZNX and AI6KX like this.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, doesn't that end fed need a counterpoise? how about a tuner?
    I tried endfed wire and a tuner, takes a lot of fussing to get it to tune up and usually will not without a ground wire laying in the dirt. Took a lot of fussing !
    That's why I made my dipoles ! Pre-made them and trimmed them at home for my part of the bands and that's done. In the field, just Toss rope up in tree, haul the center of the antenna up, and tie off ends. Screw the coax connector into the radio and GO ! No tuning, they work.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, 2 pieces of wire. I used an Emtech ZM-2 tuner and it was pretty easy to tune. Heck, I have tuned a Pepsi can with that tuner and had actual QSO's... Tuned a ham (K6WX) as well and had a QSO (@ about 1/2W).

Steve
    KV6O

8. N5EIT

N5EIT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Ten Tec Rebel on 40M, a small speaker or ear-buds, a 7Ah SLA battery, simple BullDog paddles mounted on a stick (or my Begali CW machine), a cross country wireless 40M EFHW matchbox, and a 63 foot peice of wire... I use counterpoise sometimes and sometimes I don't. When I do, it's only about 6 feet long. I can fit it all in a small tactical shoulder bag and hike out to my favourite spot then be set up in under 15 minutes.

No fuss...

I could lighten the load by using a different battery pack, but I'd rather save the money since I'm not long-trippin-it.

OH.... I also have a Hendricks PFR-3... SWEET little kit and everything you need!!! Just add some wire, 8 AA batteries, small speaker, and a key. LOTS of Fun!!

9. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

My only QRP radio is a Yaesu FT-817nd and it isn't really "fussy" but I do have a little stand that raises the front at an angle to make the small display easier to read. My least fussy antenna for portable ops right now is an LNR Endfedz 40/20/10. I use it as a sloper with one end in held up by a tree. I'm planning to buy a crappie pole for use when a tree isn't available or isn't allowed.