Learning and Testing in Las Vegas, NV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio License Test Schedules' started by ULTRAVISTA, Feb 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

I am in Southwest Las Vegas, NV and interested in getting licensed. After a long time of listening only, I am ready to take the plunge to get licensed and start transmitting.

Vegas seems to have a void of operators and I do not know anyone with their license. It would be nice to find an elmer or two that are eager to answer a lot of dumb but intricate questions.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm not in Vegas but would be happy to help in any way I am able - been a ham for almost 43 years so know a little bit anyway.... MANY here know a heck of a lot more but I'm happy to share where I can contribute.

What's on your mind?

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  3. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Hi Dave, thanks for responding.

I am the kind of person who only learns by understanding how & why things work not by 'that is just the way it is'. At the moment, I am learning as much about antennas as possible but haven't quite grasped the concept of capacitance, inductance, and reactance.

What really boggles my mind is how an antenna works. I get the electron excitation and proper element lengths but do not understand how resonance works in regards to efficiently propagating a signal. And conversely, how a receiving antenna 'resonates' from an incoming electromagnetic field. When I think of resonance, I imagine a tuning fork 'resonating' or 'vibrating' and trying to conceptualize how an antenna element reacts.

This is one of several thousand questions I can come up with.

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, there seems to be quite a few ARC's in your area.

http://www.nevadahamradio.com/las-vegas.html

Good Luck

5. ULTRAVISTA

ULTRAVISTA QRZ Member

Thank you ND6M. I didn't find that site when searching.