ad: AbAuRe-1

Last Man Standing on Fox TV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Flip this around 180 degrees and you have 90% of the major networks and "news" media 24/7/365. Kind of a nice change from my/our perspective. Buck up and Deal with it.

AK5B, WD4DXQ, KK5R and 3 others like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AND...if you DO talk to yourself via moon bounce or long path or something...my question is...do you send yourself a QSL card?!?

KK5R and NL7W like this.
  3. K2GK

K2GK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, at least they had hams behind the scenes and that small cluster kept it real. Not like NCIS that got it all wrong last season and made us all look like little old fat men still living in their Mommy's basement. Oh wait I know a few guys who..... Never mind.

KD8AQT, KD4JRX, N6MEJ and 4 others like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, ABC thought they could make more money doing something else, given the cost of the show.

It was 2oth Century Fox who produced the show for ABC. Now they will also get the profits from the show instead of just being paid for the production. They know a good thing when they see it; apparently ABC not so much.

I liked that show and will be happy to see it on the air again. The ham radio part is minor, but well done and good fun when it's in the show.

KD4JRX, K2DFC, WF3T and 1 other person like this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree 100%. Tim Allen sitcoms are really good and family friendly. Great guy.
    God bless him for making many of us laugh in today's world.

KD8AQT, KD4JRX, N6MEJ and 7 others like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The subject matter certainly tended to be at odds with the environment in which it was created. I have often suspected that it "just wasn't funny" to the producing company's executives when the subject material started becoming reality... kind of like how Dilbert isn't funny to many IT workers. The show was fine as long as they could pretend it was just silly parody -- once the values started appearing in real life, it was likely no longer tolerable to its masters.

That industry has a product to sell, but they also have a world view to which they are quite devoted.

KD8AQT, N6MEJ, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  7. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

It would really stir the pot for hams if Tim Allen were to suddenly reveal on some late-night show interview that he became interested in ham radio and got his license, that he's learning to get something out of it. He could even say he hoped to help in emergencies, sometimes, but also liked the idea of talking to others across the USA and around the world. If he did that, he'd get the attention of a lot of hams and of many who never even heard of ham radio.

He'd be another Arthur Godfrey or Andy Griffith, huh? Nothing wrong with one more celebrity in our ranks.

KD4JRX, KA2K and AK5B like this.
  8. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife & I watch the reruns several evenings each week because we much enjoyed the program & I think it is the BEST Sitcom on TV.The views he shares on the program closely align with our views so it makes it even more fun.AWESOME news at our home.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KD4JRX, KT5OT, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  9. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Or who did the first ham radio operator talk to?

KD4JRX and AK5B like this.
  10. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You do know he got/has his license, etc., because of being around it on the show right? Or were you being sarcastic here? lol

KD8AQT and KD4JRX like this.
  11. W1MIV

W1MIV Ham Member QRZ Page

KD4JRX likes this.
  12. W1MIV

W1MIV Ham Member QRZ Page

Me Too W1MIV. Good show.

KD4JRX likes this.
  13. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't care how "good" a program may be,............... if it has a laugh track, i DON'T watch it

[​IMG]

AA5IT, AK5B, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  14. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I didn't know. Not being sarcastic. I read ALL the comments and yours is the first that mentioned it. Would have been a good factoid to have seen it added to the first comment, doncha think? (I'm not being sarcastic with this question, either.)

I've never watched the show. But I will now, if possible. However, I'm watching the toob less and less these days. Too depressing. Wonder if this is part of the master plan? ;)

W0JRM, KA2K, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  15. WX7P

WX7P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was taken off because it had bad ratings in the prime demographics, you know, people that buy stuff. The over 50 crowd doesn't interest advertisers.

Ratings aren't everything with broadcast media, it's all about selling products. Our demographic doesn't spend the kind of money that the younger crowd does. It's that simple.

No conspiracy theories, please.

KQ9J, N6MEJ, KK5R and 1 other person like this.