ad: ProAudio-1

Larry Block, N2OH January 30, 1925 - June 3, 2017, Age 92

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N2OH_DAUGHTER, Oct 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2OH_DAUGHTER

N2OH_DAUGHTER QRZ Member

Lawrence W. Block - Larry to friends and loved ones and Dad to his children - passed away peacefully on June 3, 2017. A World War II veteran and proud American, my Dad was one of the smartest people I knew. There was rarely an item he could not repair. If you read his bio on this site under his call sign (N2OH), you'll see his journey through various hobbies including electronics, photography - first film, and then digital, computers, reading, politics and of course, ham radio. He earned his novice license at the age of seventy, which was one of his proudest accomplishments. He was also proud of his three children - Peter, Thomas and Elizabeth - who all became accomplished professionals. He grew up in Queens, NY and enlisted in the army and was shipped off to Europe all before the age of twenty. He was assigned to a heavy automotive maintenance unit that repaired anything from chainsaws to tanks. His unit was not far behind the front lines. They crossed the English Channel and moved on to France, then Belgium, and Germany. He was able to recount many of his WWII experiences in vivid detail. I had the opportunity to interview him about them last summer (2016) and have some great audio recordings of those interviews. After the war, he began working for his father in the kitchen equipment business. The family moved to northern New Jersey, and in 1955, he married my Mom, Marilyn. Two boys soon followed, and then a girl. In 1983, sadly, my mother was taken from us much too soon. It was a difficult time for everyone, and Larry never re-married, not wanting to go through such a loss again. He retired not quite a decade afterwards and moved to Ocean County, New Jersey, where he was to spend the rest of his days. Once he took up ham radio, he was hooked. Although not much of a socializer, he definitely made friends on the radio and chewed the rag regularly with his close ones, Hal (AA2ID) and Neill (K3RNC). To Hal and Neill I express my bottomless gratitude for their friendship and the radio companionship they shared with Larry, my Dad. I can't begin to express how much he enjoyed communicating with you - I hope you know how much it meant to him. I miss my Dad very much, and not a day goes by that I don't think of him and of the unconditional love he always showed me throughout my life. Ninety two years of age is nothing to sneeze at, but it still feels like he was taken from us much too soon.

Attached Files:

• dad.jpg
      dad.jpg
      File size:
      119.2 KB
      Views:
  2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. He sounds like a great man and father. My prayers go out to you and your brothers that the Lord will give you strength to make it through this time of lose. If you look to Him he really can help you.
    God bless you and your brothers.
    John, WB0MPB

N2OH_DAUGHTER likes this.