ad: k1jek

Land Ops ARC Playbook (less controversial release) - HF Expansion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6QBM, Sep 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI6QBM

KI6QBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Land Ops ARC (an ARRL affiliate adventure radio club) has been getting some mixed reviews for our "out-of-the-norm" video releases on QRZ. Previously our "Silence of the Hams" video operation that was conducted at night in the mountains came under fire for, guess what, not using our radios. We also promise to use CW next time when doing flash codes. This was meant to be adventure challenges and I guess we are just a little out-of-the-box in more ways than one.

Another release, "Driving Into Reward Mine" video was criticized for the danger of carbon monoxide gases we exposed ourselves to. After driving our trucks a quarter mine inside of a mountain we performed a simple VHF test. Even though we took precautions this simple trip report got some flack for that.

So we thought we'd post a more traditional video about our HF inspirations, but we're already wondering if our HF inspirations are not really that traditional either.

Okay...We're just trying to have fun here. So for those who dare to watch...We hope you will simply enjoy our style of radio adventuring and our explanation of what we are trying to do. We're looking for HF stations to coordinate with as far out as are interested.

Watch at your own risk. Share your opinion regardless of how critical it might be. I guess we are getting use to it. Personally, I use to think we were fairly normal folks. Now we freely admit we are a little different from traditional ham material and news. If we are a little peculiar in our ham radio endeavors, perhaps we'll run into a few that share our strangeness and will reply and express their support for our ham radio fantasies.

Now that's all I'm going to say except, please watch and enjoy the video.

KM4MCM, AJ6Q, W7ASA and 4 others like this.
  2. KI6QBM

Out next HF project is scheduled to occur during our level 2 op Oct 7th between Shaver Lake, California and Opal Mountain, California.
    This is a shorter distance test with approximately 180 miles between the two points.

K6JKB, KK6WFC and KK6PRV like this.
  3. KJ7A

KJ7A Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris, another great video. Of course, it's just a short chapter in the Book of LandOps.

KK6WFC, KI6QBM and KK6PRV like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your assertion is bogus. You came "under fire" for using a bogus tease of a headline--"Silence of the Hams--communication without radios" as AMATEUR RADIO NEWS.

Now you are again stretching things..

"Watch it at your own risk"... What a bunch of bull excrement. Exactly what "risk" am I 'managing' by watching this video?

The video is interesting on its own merits. Just tell people what its about.

Why don't you just let the ACTIVITY tell the story and don't try to bias the viewer ahead of time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    OH2FFY, NU4R, KB8OTK and 3 others like this.
  5. W7ARE

W7ARE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bias? Bull? I think they are having fun and want to share it. Their words are just sharing their sense of humor. Of course, if you have no sense of humor, that might pass by without notice. Seems like a guy ought to be able to share his HAM adventure here without incurring the wrath of anyone not otherwise involved. I guess it invites the sharing of opinions though, of which there is never a shortage. Of course, you know the old saying "opinions are like hemorrhoids, in that every a****** has at least one!" Just my humble hemorrhoid, er, I mean opinion! :):) Keep up the good work and share your adventures with us!

KM5BOR, KM6MHZ, AF6TC and 6 others like this.
  6. K7KSG

K7KSG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I've just found my People!

N0NZG, AF6TC, KF5THB and 4 others like this.
  7. KI6QBM

Thank you for proving my point. Ahhhh, the risk that your blood pressure would go up because of my cautionary intro? Yes, we've been under fire for how we announce or title our posts. But apparently it's just a warm breeze.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    KM5BOR, KM6MHZ, KB3FEI and 1 other person like this.
  8. KI6QBM

Thanks W7ARE, I'm happy to hear someone not taking us too seriously. I'm kinda humored by some of the responses we get. We don't take it seriously at all. I think at first it was a little shocking, like bullies trying to pick a fight, but now, I just pretend they are a good friend poking fun and we kinda poke back. We do try to hear the underlying complaint they are making.

KM5BOR and KM6MHZ like this.
  9. KI6QBM

K7KSG, if we are your PEOPLE, then you are our PEOPLE too!

10. K6JKB

K6JKB Ham Member QRZ Page

You know...people forget that baseball is just a game played for fun. Land Ops similarly is a game...with Ham radios as balls and 4wd vehicles as bats played out in the field. FUN...and the videos are just one way of sharing the fun.

WJ4U likes this.
  11. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, watched the video, still don't know what you're doing... I heard (near the end) something about caches? And synchronized timing between teams? Is this like Geocaching and rally racing? What the heck is "geotactical"? There was some element of SAR, but I didn't get the relevance....

Hey, if you're having fun, that's all that counts, but I still don't understand what you're doing after watching the video.

If you're spending that much time, I hope you're participating with your local SAR groups! We always need volunteers (at least here in Colorado)! I did enough map reading and off roading in Type-6 brush trucks in my wildland days... But we had the added fun of having terrain on FIRE around us. o_O

KF5THB and K2NCC like this.
  12. KI6QBM

Hi Jim...K6JKB, It's my fault...W1YW actually has a good point, I actually got his "real" message through all the "bull this" and "bull that". He seems like a really smart guy, I looked him up, but I think he's a kind of "bull-y". The value of his comment was immediately dimished to a lower intellect with his knee jerk response. He's such a straight shooter I guess I just pissed him off. But I will heed his advice.

KD8AQT likes this.
  13. KI6QBM

KV6O, Yeah I know it's not a complete explanation. It's the 5th video of a series that we let out of the box. Like walking into a room in the middle of a conversation. Yup, we're having fun. We do have an MOU with a local private SAR foundation so we're open to assist. We stopped using the word geotactical a while ago, we haven't yet completely purged it. I still like the shirts we made. Too controversial for so many people though as they immediately thought military. We're not. The games we play are all centered around teams searching for instruction caches off road that progress them through an navigation course unknown to them and call for certain radio exercises to be performed. Stay out of the fire zone!

14. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like 4x4 + Navigation + radio and a good mix of 'road rally'. Cool - have fun and thanks for posting.

KD8AQT and KI6QBM like this.
  15. KI6QBM

You got it!