Lanc Bass from N'Sync on the ISS ham station

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC7RAD, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC7RAD

KC7RAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, what do you all think about this??? N'Sync singer Lance Bass will probably be travelling to NA1SS in October and working some schools on 2M.

IMHO, while I don't care for their music, I think this could be a great boost to the popularity of ham radio, space science and technology with young people.

Comments???

73s
    Ken Linder
    KC7RAD

2. N7FAN

N7FAN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The information that I saw posted stated that all of his time on ISS would be scheduled and there was no allocation for NA1SS operation at all.

Maybe there's hope after all.  I can just see it.  Every special event/public event we do..."Can I talk to Lannnnccceeee on the satellite?!?"

What's this world coming to. (Did I say that?)  [​IMG]

3. KC7RAD

KC7RAD Ham Member QRZ Page

HA, That's exactly what my daughter said! "Gee Dad, you have 2 meters right? When can I talk with him? When? When? When?..."

Here is the URL for the article I read... Chicago Tribune Article About Lance Bass in Space

You may have to register at the site to read it but registration is free.

73s
    Ken

4. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oy vey! There was a time when the thought of being in space was a dream that inspired engineers; now it's the marketing wing of a bubble-gum rock band, and the playtoy of richnics. That will surely inspire people to achieve in science, not!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Think what ever you want, but I see it as an opportunity to make some good PR for amateur radio. The amateur community is always crying about we don't get enough PR so if we can get him on the air, kids will think it is "way cool" to have a ham license.

After all I am a bit biased with our school projects and all.

Jim Haynie, W5JBP
    President, ARRL

6. VA7KBH

VA7KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, following up after the president of ARRL! What an honour!

I think it's a very good idea to use this kind of an opportunity to get PR out for ham radio.

I'd like to get a ISS-School program set up at my school, but there isn't very much interest.
    I really want to work NA1SS - it'd be so much fun!

If Lance gets up there, any chance for him to work the radio would be good - it'd probably make the news

VA7KBH

7. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps we should get more excited about skywarn, ares/races, comm. during emergencies, comm. support for local events, etc... you know, the things that make amateur radio a service, rather than a party line with the latest pop-rock singer. But that's just my opinion.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

i suppose you can make an argument for ham radio p.r.,things seem to be going rather well with talking to kids from space without the need of a rock star.

maybe this post would do better on the celebrity worship web site.

when this guy gets back from space he can always go on oprah to tell his story with dr. phil and we can all have a good cry.

dan,k3xr

9. KD7LDH

KD7LDH QRZ Member QRZ Page

I really dont like Nsync Im more of a DMX Fan. Ok and Maybe:

Ja Rule
    Eminem
    Matchbox 20
    Snoop Dogg
    Ludacris
    Oh and of course ODB (aka Old Dirty Bastard)

10. N8EPE

N8EPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe some kid will say, "hey mister, cool radio", and be inspired to investigate further.

Maybe some kid will go outside on a star filled night with Dad's binoculars to try and see his 'pop star' go by. Might even be inspired by all the stars and want a telescope.

Maybe some kid will be inspired by the story of 'my awesome ride' when the guy gets back and be inspired to investigate rockets.

Whatever happens, if Ham Radio can be a part in putting a smile on a kid's face, it's all good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.