ad: M2Ant-1

KL7RRC/P Need doctor help

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by RZ3FW, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA5CDJ

KA5CDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I agree, a LOT has been learned from this original post ..... However, Merle is home safe and sound so let's not let this cause problems with IOTA NA-235 which is still going on .... check your DX Summit Spots and give them lot's of contacts .... I've only made two (2) thus far (one on 30 Meters and one on 20 Meters, both CW) but looking for them while they are out there .... let's all take a deep breath and let this be a learning experience ....

See ya all on the Air de KA5CDJ
    --
    de KA5CDJ, T. Brad Smith, ka5cdj.com
    M.A.R.I.E. El Paso w5dpd.org
    Life Member ARRL arrl.org
    Life Member Texas VHF/FM Society txvhffm.org
    Member Armadillo Intertie armadillo.org
    Member Jacks Peak ARA jpara.net
    Member of the Board, Sun City Amateur Radio Club k5wph.org
    Trustee & Web Master of West Texas Repeater Association k5elp.com
    Past Member JSCARC w5rrr.org

2. VR2BG

VR2BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Between cluster spots & RBN, maybe can see what might have happened...

They were on 7006 around 1245 GMT & moved to 10108 from around 1430. Then at 1522/1525 they moved to 14264. The spots calling for help were from UA0A/UA9F. The QRZ post from UA3F was at 1548. At 1601 a W6 spotted they were back to running stations. Last spot on 14264 was at 1610. Then nothing until a RBN spot on 14026 from W7 at 1756. Another gap until a couple of DXC spots on 14023 (one from JA, the other unknown) at 1912-1916. Then nothing until a long run on 14040 starting with a RBN spot from W7 at 2158.

A short run on SSB after the excitement interrupted working their way up the bands at sunrise... then gone until about two hours later (about how long the helicopter could have taken to arrive & then leave?) back on CW for a short bit, then gone again until about 2.5 hours later (have breakfast?).

This was an IOTA expedition, so perhaps they didn't want to hang around & wait for MMSN. Short of a flare, with folks all over looking for them on the bands & having gone there for the purpose of making lots of QSOs, we might expect KL7RRC to be able to reach out directly on the radio for help & seems they did just that, interrupting the run for half an hour to sort things out.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.

3. RZ0AF

RZ0AF Ham Member QRZ Page

They have asked me QSY in SSB and told that at them a problem, evacuation of the person is necessary. I put first spot in cluster at 1520 with the request for the help at the desire of guys.

4. K5MT

K5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Merle, K5MT

This message is from Merle, K5MT. Recently, I was with the team (N3QQ, UA9OBA, RW3RN) on Chirikof Isl (NA-235). I was airlifted from the island back to Kodiak Alaska. Among a number of things, I was increasingly concerned about lingering "chest discomfort" and eventually mentioned this to the team. The description "chest discomfort" became distorted with dissemination. The team responded wonderfully and totally to getting help as did the amateur community worldwide. An Island Air float plane was on the island after a 2 1/2 hours and an EMT was on board. In Kodiak hospital, blood, x-ray and EKG tests in the ER showed no signs of heart attack, blood clots, liver, kidney, lung problems or anything definitive. My stay in the hospital was 3 hours and I was given saline to rehydrate.

Since this original post has generated so much interest, let me say that we had two methods of getting help in the event of an emergency. One was a spot messenger which sends a one-way emergency transmission with GPS coordinates but without the ability of two-way communication. I have no idea how long the response time might have been, but it would involve the US Coast Guard out of Kodiak and they have radar capability. The second method was ham radio and this proved to be the best choice. Previous arrangements had been made whereby certain stations in Washington state would monitor and assist in the event help was needed and in fact, many hams responded. After the phone number was announced via radio, several phone calls were made to Island Air (they knew where our campsite was located) and thanks to flyable weather I was airlifted out within about 3 hours from when Island Air received our MedVac request. We also had the ability to contact Harvey Flying service via HF radio as a backup. In retrospect, having a satellite phone (which can be rented) would have been an excellent choice.

5. VR2BG

VR2BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.