ad: IACantenna-1

Kio hex beam and rotor question.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N8MJS, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N8MJS

N8MJS Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to put up a Hex beam on my tower. The rotor I will use is a Yaesu G-450A.
    The question I have is

Will the Yaesu GC-038 bottom mast clamp attachedhed to the G-450A rotor work to mount to a 1.5 inch O.D. 5 foot stick of mast cominging out of my tower?

Since the Hex beam I will buy has a 1.25 inch O.D. mast requirement.
    I wanted to use 2 of the Yaesu GL-33 mast adjustment plates to make sure the antenna is mounted and centered on the rotor properly. I would be using another 5 foot stick of 1.25 inch O. D. mast from the rotor to the Hex beam antenna.

I know there are better ways but I'm on a budget and this seems to meet my spending requirements well.

Open to your advice or thoughts.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The G-450A is a small rotator. Can't it fit "inside" the tower on a rotator plate?

You wouldn't need the lower mast clamp at all, and everything should work fine...
  3. N8MJS

Can you post a link for an example of a rotor plate?
  4. WB2WIK

Exactly what tower do you have??? The rotor plate has to fit that. If you go to and look up the the "guyed towers" section, go to the 25G and "accessories," and you'll see the rotor plate for that one. But each tower has its own design. What are you using?
  5. N8MJS

Not sure the type of tower I have.
    It was here when I bought my home.
    Here are a few pics of the tower.

6. WB2WIK

If you want to see what a typical "rotator shelf" looks like, go here:

Hit "25G Brochure Download" (it goes fast) and go to Page 37 in the brochure. Look at the rotator shelf BAS25G. That's pretty much what they all look like. It's not "part of" the tower, it installs between the legs of the tower by just tilting it into position through the rungs and clamping it in place.

The Rohn 25G leg spacing is 11-1/14" leg-to-leg (center-to-center). If that's what your tower is, then that very plate would work. If not, there's lots of other plates to choose from, or of course almost any sheet metal shop could simply fabricate one.

You always want to install the rotator inside the tower if at all possible.
  7. VA3MYB

VA3MYB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be fab'ing my own plate. I have a 40' Delhi tower and am not overly thrilled with the "rotor at the very top" idea so i've picked up a small sheet of 1/4" aluminum and will make a plate i can drop down a couple of rungs for my Yaesu G-1000DXA. I'm also not thrilled with the 1-1/2" opening (what they call a at the very top holding my 1-1/4" mast so lowering the rotor mount point should give me a tad more stability/support to the mast.

BTW, please let me know what your opinion is on the KIO once you get it in the air? I'm considering one also and would appreciate your findings.

Thanks, Marty
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  8. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is an early construction photo of my KIO Hexbeam hub mounted on a 1 1/4" tube inside a 1 1/2" tube and rotator mast assembly.

Attached Files:

9. N8MJS

Thanks to all for the info and helpful links and information.

What model rotor are you using with that setup?
    I have heard the KIO hex beam can be turned with a tv antenna rotor.
    Are you using a balun?
  10. AC0H

AC0H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you can use a TV rotor because the antenna is very light...about 25lbs and is symmetrical about the mast.
    Yes, you do need to use a bead balun at the feed to choke off any common mode current on the outside of the coax braid.
    The Hexbeam is a balanced antenna, you're feeding it with an unbalanced feed line.
  11. AC0FP

The rotator is a NTE U-106 with a NTE thrust bearing TB-105. The KIO assembly instructions recommend coaxial ferrite chokes, I made my own broadband ferrite choke array since the beam was a 20 through 6 meter antenna.
  12. N8MJS

Found the rotor plate as you described. I will do the measurements on my tower to see if its a match. If not I still see this as a better way to mount the rotor and mast to the antenna than what I described in my original post.

Any advice on a choke balun?
    ferrite beads?
    I would have to remove my PL-259 off my LMR-400 coax.
    Not looking forward to that.
    Although it would be easier on the pocket book.

I also found this choke balun

I figured I could mount a balun like this and run my Lmr-400 to it.
    Then a more flexible type of coax to the Hex Beam.

13. AC0FP

The type of balun recommended by KIO is ferrite beads over coax. This is also what I used. The balun you pictured appears to be intended for use with wire dipole.
  14. N8MJS

15. AC0H

AC0H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

16. N8MJS

17. KB0YYO

KB0YYO Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a hex beam from Leo and I love it. I get good reports constantly.
    You will like the Hex beam. It is a good solid, well thought out antenna. Read his directions before you begin.
    It makes assembly go faster with fewer problems.

I put in a 90 degree on the SO239 on the upright post and weather sealed it.
    As for beads and how many beads, Leo tells you what to use and how many.
    I used the clamp on and I think I put 6 on the coax. I taped them on with many turns of black electrical tape.
    At the coax feed point I slid the coax through a piece of PVC about a foot long and pushed it up to the 90 to help keep the coax from touching the post and taped and plastic tied it down.

If you follow the directions you will have good SWR on all bands you ordered with it. I have a 5 band. 6M-10M-15M-`17M-20 M.
    The winds here play havoc with the RS TV rotor I use. Had to have a new one replaced once.
    I have to recalibrate rotor after each high wind storm of over 40 mph. It does not move a lot but due N is then NNW or NNE. Easy fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.