Kids watch phones a new trend in Asia

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KE0EYJ, Feb 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me posting here, but my daughter, who is interested in ham radio, but still only 7, wanted me to show off her new watch phone. It's related to communications, so I thought this might be of interest, as they will likely be coming to the USA and Europe. These are becoming popular in Asia:

VU3DRU, MI0YLT and N2PQW like this.
  2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Derek, that's pretty cool! Can she add a morse-trainer app?

I wonder if the grown-up version will have Rock-Paper-Scissors-LIZARD-SPOCK?

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

3. KE0EYJ

Haha. No apps, really. I don't know about other parents, but one of the draws was that it does not have any apps -- keeps her away from playing games too much. She does enjoy plinking around on some morse apps on my phone, though.

The games that are on there are quite simplistic, and I am sure she will tire of them quickly Hope so, anyway. She's played with the thing so much today, she's had to charge it twice. It's good if you don't play games a lot, with it, but battery life burns out pretty fast, if you do (compared to a full-sized phone).

Cheers.

MI0YLT likes this.
  4. MI0YLT

MI0YLT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's pretty cool, I want one.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The local Verizon store has had a rack of that sort of thing since last year. "Call Mom", "Emergency" speed dials and such, plus GPS locator.

I guess that's the world we live in.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  6. KI7LGN

KI7LGN Ham Member QRZ Page

XYL and I got one of the Verizon ones for Thing #1 for Christmas, we like it so far. We are rretty much the opposite of helicopter parents, but it IS nice to be able to tell her to come home or have her call to ask to go to the other park across town.

Matt

MI6PYL likes this.
  7. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't want one, but she did make the review interesting and informative - in two languages no less. A very bright young lady, and a great future ham. I bet if she wanted to, she could pass the FCC Tech exam in no time. Is the local entry level exam similar?

8. KE0EYJ

They can take a test in Korean, or English. The English test is regarded as easier, if they know English. Many try and fail. Many don't. They offer a 1/2 day class with no test to earn a 10w VHF/UHF license, and I think that gets many more takers.

9. KE0EYJ

Just a note... the Emergency button has become a bit of an annoyance, as it keeps calling mom, when bumped in the backpack. She has to keep it in the backpack during class (teachers won't allow in class, for obvious reasons). When my daughter packs things up for school, sometimes it pack-dials my wife. My wife just laughs about it, but I told her it sort of defeats the purpose of the emergency button, if it cries wolf, all of the time.