Kid friendly instructional materials needed

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by WA7ZAF, Aug 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WA7ZAF

WA7ZAF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone. I will be starting a ham radio after school club in about a month and I am looking for a very young kid friendly course to teach that will help the students pass their technician exam. I have used the ARRL powerpoint presentation for the 2014-2018 question pool in the past with great success, but that was with older students. I will be working with 9-10 year olds. Does anybody know where I might find a high quality, prepackaged course for the new question pool, preferably in Powerpoint format? I have done the usual Google search and checked the ARRL website, but after over an hour of searching I've come up empty.

N1ART and MI0YLT like this.
  2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

My first reaction was that no matter what age you are, everybody studies exactly the same question pool. If there was an easier presentation of the material, there would be a lot of older "kids" using it too.

Many have made it clear that for them all three exams are reasonably easy. Many do not share that opinion. But how would you present a reasonable size presentation that suddenly makes the presentation of material simple?

I would present the regular information. Then I would let the kids point out what they do not understand. I would then pull alternate information out of my brain looking for something that helps to make it clearer to them.

You have a 2x2 "A" call just like I do. You should have your own built up store of knowledge to draw on.

MI0YLT likes this.
  3. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo! I totally agree.
    I belief that anyone (of any age), with reasonable intelligence, also must be motivated. I never tried to dumb-down radio information for children. If they will succeed as ham radio operators, there must be drive originating within them, which will stimulate questions. If they ask no questions, likely they aren't truly interested.

Teaching to the pool does them no favor either. Yes, I know its common practice, but the practice has been a miserable failure in thousands of public schools.

4. KN4LGM

KN4LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I'm eleven and I was able to Reed and understand the arrl tech book with no help and pass. Now i've also passed my general. If these kids are really interested they don't need a simple're study guide

N8AFT likes this.
  5. W4BUE

W4BUE Subscriber QRZ Page

The K4AMG Club is currently mentoring at Great Bridge High School -W4GBH, in Chesapeake, VA. We are using the Graig Buck K4IA , the Easy Way Books. The texts tell a story and asks the questions from the pool. There are no a -d answers.

Our Young hams are the net control operators of the W4GBH Get on the Air Nets every Wednesday and Friday at 7 PM EST. We are also on ECHO LINK # 211093. We have had about 10 ECHO LINK check ins from all over the US and Australia and New Zealand. Our youngest ham is 12 years old.

Take a look at the YACHT nets on Echo Link.

We also offer a Youth Plaque for high score in the Virginia QSO Party. Our 2018 winner was Lacy - W4LCY 10 years old. VQP 2019 will be March 16 - 17, 2019

Good luck with your kids.

Visit us and see pictures and news on K4AMG.org

Rich W4BUE

MI0YLT likes this.
  6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Teaching kids is about making it fun and putting things in terms they can relate to and remember. The water hose analogy is good for resistance, current and voltage, and twanging a ruler on a desk while changing the length to change the pitch teaches the relationship of length and frequency.

MI0YLT likes this.
  7. KM4ATT

KM4ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm 14 years old and I passed the extra exam when I was 10. Although I studied by memorizing the entire question pool, I definitely don't recommend that method at all!
    I've taught the Ham In A Day class at Jamboree On The Air, and that seems to be effective if you have only a short time period to study. But, really, each kid has a different way of studying that works for them, so it's hard to say exactly what would be the best method or what to use.
    There are so many opportunities for kids in the hobby. Someone above mentioned the YACHT (young amateurs communications ham team) youth net. I am a member of the club and their nets often have many kids from all over the US and even on lucky weekends, we get check-ins from other continents. Check out http://yacht.younghams.org/ for more details and references to other youth nets and activities.

Good luck!

KM4ATT

AG6QR and MI0YLT like this.
  8. N1ART

N1ART Ham Member QRZ Page

You are one smart kid! I hope you use your privledges, get out on the radio and talk, do CW whatever you like
    Nice to see some young blood in the hobby and don't be discouraged by anyone even if they seem mean or stuck in their old ways.
    73's and have a good one.

KM4ATT likes this.
  9. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Flash Cards work. You do not need to know anything. Worked for my wife and sister.

N1ART likes this.
  10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't used PowerPoint in years, but doesn't the version you have allow you to generate your own content? You could tailor your presentation as you gain experience with how they react to your teaching examples.

They may show more interest if you can work in current cultural references, perhaps fiction characters they have recently seen in the movies.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019