ad: M2Ant-1

KG5KIC HIGHJACKED **ACTIVE SCAM ALERT**

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K7KQA, Jan 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7KQA

K7KQA Ham Member QRZ Page

Be very careful.
    I had posted a want ad awhile back for a Yaesu FT-817.
    This person claiming to be KG5KIC contacted me with a radio.
    It started to 'feel' funny so I looked around google.

I found the complete radio description he sent me, posted several months ago by another ham in a forum post.

I contacted the fellow who originally posted the radio, he put me in contact with the fellow who purchased the radio. He still has it, AND it's NOT KG5KIC.

I asked a few probing questions to 'KG5KIC' about the ft-817. Does it include the 'built in tuner option, or the 1.2ghz option'

The answer was yes to both. Problem is, the FT-817 never came with a tuner or 1.2ghz option.

BE CAREFUL PEOPLE! ASK FOR PICS AND ASK DETAILED. POINTED QUESTIONS.

Good Luck, I ALMOST sent payment to this person.

Do your due diligence, and if it sounds too good to be true, it more than not is.

-James KE7KQA

2. K7KQA

K7KQA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just spoke with the real Russell Obert, KG5KIC.
    He did not know his callsign had been highjacked and was VERY surprised to hear the story.

I've asked Russell to reply to this message, and to be vigilent.

Be careful everybody!

3. KG5KIC

KG5KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am the Real Russ Obert kg5kic Email russlark@yahoo.com I am not buying or selling anything so be careful if someone uses my call sign to try and get money from you as it is a scam. I am new to the ham community and am just learning about the problems with scammers.

Good luck and I hope this guy gets caught whoever it is.

Russ kg5kic

4. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm requiring a phone conversation from now on. There is an ad that i thought was legit except they demanded a MO. I said i wanted to talk by phone and was promised a call Saturday. Never received the call and now they are not responding to email...BE VERY VERY CAREFUL buying anything rather it is a placed ad or response to a wanted to buy ad. If someone is selling a radio and does not want to talk about what they are selling in person then i wouldn't buy it even if they are legit. No PayPal, no call no buying..I say.

5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any real ham will love talking about his rig he has for sale. A phone call is great insurance. I love to play with scammers though. Hi Hi. I love to lead them on as long as I can.

6. KO4L

KO4L Ham Member QRZ Page

I just recieved this via a email. I had just posted a reply to a QRZ for sale post. I am almost 100% sure this is not the 'real' Russell Obert... Scammer is still at work.

Russell Obert <kg5kic@gmail.com>
    5:48 PM (5 minutes ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to KO4L
    [​IMG]

Hello, i have for sale Icom Dstar UHF ID-31A for sale, I am first owner, non smoking, new condition. Radio works in all respects, I am selling as I am going Fusion digital.
    Will be shipped in original box, with all hardware, charger, manual, CD disk, etc originally supplied.
    Price 155$ OBO plus 20$ flat rate USPS/Canadapost shipping costs anywhere in USA or Canada. if you are still interested, let me know
    THANKS Russell kg5kic