kf4qag was ripped off by callsigns k9jal and wj9e

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KF4QAG, Jul 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KF4QAG

KF4QAG Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently made my first purchase on QTH.com. Unfortunately, it was a mistake. I went to the site of Jennifer Dishman, call sign K9JAL, and found where she had posted a Kenwood TS440S and Astron 20 amp power supply for sale for $400. When I contacted Ms. Dishman by phone, Mike Elder, call sign WJ9E, responded. In fact, he was always the person that answered my texts and calls. In the beginning of our conversations, when I informed Mr. Elder that I was interested in purchasing the items, he informed me that depsite having others interested, he would sell the equipment to me. He stated that he would like to have the money as soon as possible and requested a postal money order. He said he had no paypal, checkings, or savings account. This should have been my first warning. However, I sent the money in form of a postal money order in a UPS next day air envelope on a Friday. He received the money on Monday, but did not send my radio out until Thursday, despite multiple calls and texts. I received the equipment this past Monday. He had previously informed me that the radio only had a couple of scratches. The radio I received had multiple scratches, a chip in the face plate, 3 screws missing, and a 12 amp power supply. I have made two calls and left numerous texts to his cell phone since receiving the equipment, but his phone is now disconnected. Even though the radio turns on and receives, I am unable to make contact with anyone. I find this very odd, which makes me unsure about the quality of the radio, overall. I let my trust of this site get the better of me. I have learned a difficult lesson to not trust this site nor the individuals selling equipment on here. What a disappointment and a complete waste of $400, which didn't come easy. Buyers beware!!!!
    --Steve (kf4qag)

2. KF4QAG

KF4QAG Ham Member QRZ Page

the radio doesn't show power output on meter of kenwood but does show 100 watts output on 10-160 on an in line meter so all is not lost

K9ASE likes this.
  3. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

How is this QRZ's fault?

WB0MPB likes this.
  4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was wondering that myself.

5. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

1. QRZ does its best to make readers aware of potential scammers and with the "verification" process there are "some" safeguards. Hopefully other sites do something comparable. But QTH.com and QRZ.com are not the same site. Either way, a buyer-seller needs to do some "checking" on the other party before making a deal.

2. A quick search of posts on QRZ.com would have revealed that Mike Elder WJ9E has a history of "awkward" and "controversial" sales and complaints ( I am trying to be polite ). Usually I am quick to defend someone whose call sign may have been misused by someone else, so it is wrong to make the assumption the person who has the call sign and the person claiming to be him are one and the same. But in this case they are, as it has been demonstrated.

3. And by the way, call signs do not have the capacity to rip people off. People have that capacity, but not call signs.

6. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am guessing he posted this on the QTH site and then copied and pasted it here on QRZ. I believe he is referring to QTH when he refers to "this site".

Update: Then again I may be wrong. I just looked and do not see it posted on QTH.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  7. WB0MPB

I saw it over there awhile ago. I don't know how though. I can't find it again. I just ran across it when I was searching for stuff about him earlier. I don't know why I can't find it again. Maybe I dreamed it. LOL
    UPDATE I found it again

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys do realize that this original thread is over two years old, right?

I believe that WJ9E may still be 'at it' though,

and the original poster has not been here since Apr 2018

AJ4GQ and W5PFG like this.
  9. WB0MPB

Sorry!

WR2E likes this.
  10. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I should of looked at the original post date. Lol. I saw it updated today so I thought it was from today. Oh well. Sorry 'bout that...:)

WR2E likes this.