ad: vanity

Kenwood YF-107CN 270 hz cw filter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI4QYI, Jul 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the additional info, I had the 270 Hz filter in one of my rigs, the 570s I think, and it rang too much for me. Good luck in your quest.
    Rob

2. KI4QYI

KI4QYI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your interest and comments, Rob. The receiver of my KX2 outperforms this radio in almost every way and suffers no front end overload. Alas, 10 watts into my dipoles just doesn't crack it and solid state amps are so expensive. The Hardrock-50 is a possibility but not sure 50 watts is enough. I will always be a Kenwood fan though as well as Elecraft. I will chalk up the $120 loss to just bad luck. 73. Tom

3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

50 watts is more than enough. 50 watts is only 3 DB down from 100 watts. So, if you are S9 on someone's receiver at 100 watts out, you'll be
    S 8 and 1/2 at 50 watts out. You are only down a half of an S unit. When I set up portable high power, I never run 100 watts, I always run only
    50 watts. This save battery time.
    But, the KXPA100 is a great little amp that goes with the KX2 or KX3.

Barry

4. KI4QYI

The KXPA100 is $799 assembled. Add a couple hundred bucks and you have a new IC7300. And the Hardrock-50 is a kit which I am not sure I am up for right now. But you are right to point out the small difference in signal strength when going from 50 to 100 watts. I did not used to be so indecisive, Barry. I seem to be spending more time in forums and less on the air. My lack of confidence in my soldering and my cw skills is likely playing a part in all of this. But I am enjoying the wise words and experience of you younger guys a lot! My QRP efforts are mostly at home now, just me and my dipoles.

Tom

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, getting an IC7300 is more cost effective. I would never suggest getting a KX2 or 3 and then adding an amp to complete your 100 watt station if QRP is not your bag.
    But, if you like QRP and don't want to have two HF radios, this is one way to go.
    I really enjoy QRP portable so I never considered getting and amp for any of my QRP radios.
    The Hardrock amp is great. My buddy has one for his KX2/KX3 and it really is a nice little package for a reasonable price. Like you, I just don't feel like putting a kit together anymore.

My advise to anybody operating portable QRP is to focus on a good resonant antenna. The better the antenna the better the signal is both ways, sending and receiving. Add an amp, you only increase your transmit signal. An amp does nothing for receive.

Barry

6. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tom,
    Just brain storming here, can you get the plug in board that the filters mount on in it's basic empty form? If so the bare board could allow the radio to operate while the filter could be , hopefully, removed and checked with out risking the whole radio?
    Rob

7. KI4QYI

The radio works fine until you select the 270hz filter. The expense of Kenwood removing and replacing the filter is keeping me from doing any more. Even if I just sent the board to Kenwood for fixing it would likely run at least $100 or more. Thanks for your suggestion though. I appreciate all of the comments and advice fromeveryone. 73, Tom