ad: dedicated rf

KENWOOD TS-590s ALC Problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by ZS1B, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
  1. ZS1B

ZS1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Good morning from Cape Town , I upgraded my TS 590 with latest software now the ALC is ok with the processor on, but when I go into normal mic mode without proc even with the mic gain turned down to 5% it overshoot the ALC to the very right hand corner of the meter section and the talk power are still low , is there a way to rectify this or will this be done with a next upgrade. I bought the radio in March last year and is very happy with it , except for the low talk power and ALC overshoot problems , and my warranty is running out .

Thank you very much Johan ZS1B.
  2. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is one of the reasons why so many of them are being sold and not that old either. In the last month or so have seen at least 20-25 for sale used.
  3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know the latest firmware upgrade for the TS-590 has been well received. You should have version 1.06 as the latest update.
    Hope this helps
  4. ZS1B

ZS1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Gary i did the 1.06 upgrade and since than have the problem with ALC overshoot when i use mic mode without processor and the talk power is still lower than my TS 50 on the same meter.
    Thanks Johan ZS1B 73.
  5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Johan, you may need to contact Kenwood and see if they have an answer to this. This is the first posting that reflected a problem with the firmware update. I am wondering if you could revert back to the 1.05 firmware and see if the problem goes away? You must have saved the 1.05 version to your computer and not had it overwritten by the new 1.06 firmware when you updated. If you did overwrite it then you will probably have to get it from Kenwood.
    Just read some of the reviews of the TS-590S and found this
    You can try this and see if it improves your SSB operation.
    BTW, I kind of like my little TS-50S.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. ZS1B

ZS1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for coming back to me Gary ,i saw that story that oldman Dietmar wrote but if i do that myself then the radio will never work again will rather get someone who know how to do it, i tried it on my TS 50 had to send it to kenwood agent for reprogramming.
  7. ZS1B

ZS1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Gary i went into my 590 brains and did the reprogramming as oldman Dietmar did and now this radio performs like a Kenwood very happy now. I had to make up the adjustment jig with the 13 pin plug and it works like a bomb thanks for the info.
  8. N3ZH

N3ZH Ham Member QRZ Page

How does one make the 13 pin plug into a "adjustment jig" ???

Connect pin 8 and pin 9 ???

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

"In the last month or so have seen at least 20-25 for sale used."

And every one I tried to contact was already sold, at price near retail go figure, so I went ahead and ordered a new one.
  10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you save the original firmware to a file before you do the firmware update to the rig? When I did the firmware update to my 480 I did not see an option to save the original firmware.

Barry, KU3X
  11. KU8V

KU8V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good afternoon -

Just to offer some findings, my issue is the low SSB power. I'm taking my TS-590 back to HRO for testing this weekend, it is just a few weeks old. I measured it against a Yeasu FT-950, same Diamond meter, same dummy load, same Heil headset, same power supply. The meter is a Diamond - not a peak reading meter, but an average power meter. On voice SSB, the Yaesu showed about 4x the average power reading of the Kenwood. Compression increased power by a shade for both radios, but the ratios still about the same Using CW or sending a steady 1khz tone into the mic, the readings were closer but the Kenwood still lagged in power by 10-20 watts.

Full power, 100 watts Voice SSB, gain at 50, no equalization, no processor:
    Kenwood - bouncing around between 5 and 10 watts.
    Yaesu - stayed north of 20 watts, much of time between 30-35 watts, topping around around 40 watts

Full power, 100 watts SSB LOUD 1000k tone close to mic, gain at 50, no equalization, no processor:
    Kenwood - 80 watts max
    Yaesu - pegged meter at 100 watts plus

Full power, 100 watts CW, gain at 50
    Kenwood - 80-85 watts max
    Yaesu - pegged meter at 100 watts plus
  12. N3ZH

N3ZH Ham Member QRZ Page

My radio's initial values were 114/160, and I get a very small power spike when sending an 18 watt tuning signal.

Raising them to 185/190 causes a large initial power spike with my peak reading power meter in my Palstar antenna tuner.

The 185/190 values did make a supposedly 100 watt tuning signal show higher on my power meter - instead of 80 watts it became 90 watts.

I changed it back to the initial values.
  13. KK4JJF

KK4JJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Was there a resolution to this issue?
  14. M0GVZ

M0GVZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do people use these meters and then claim they're accurately measuring SSB power?
  15. M0GVZ

M0GVZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people have found that the values from the factory needed altering in the service menu for ALC and power output.
  16. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't bothered to check my rig against a cheap meter nor a good one. I've been having fun making contacts including many new countries. So if it's been with less than advertised power, even better!
  17. W3GAS

W3GAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well If I had an FT-5000, I would not worry about much anything else. The TS-590S is a great radio for 1/3 the price. Oh, yes it does hear better than my FT-1000D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.