Kenwood TS-430S... Issues

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KD2CXU, May 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD2CXU

KD2CXU Ham Member QRZ Page

My first HF rig, a Kenwood TS-430S, has in issue where completely at random, will shut off. The problem is not the power supply. I've used a couple power supplies, and it's happened with both of them. The power will cut in the power supply, usually from an internal breaker, or the fuse. it could happen the 1st time I key the mic, or it could happen with a contact I've been talking to for several minutes. this also happens when switched to CW and switching to 'send' to tune the antenna in.

Just today (5-20-17), I was at a local hamfest, and found the same exact radio, to see if it may work better, or to use as parts. On the 2nd 430, the frequency display doesn't work, although if I move to the memory bank, the memory channel indicator does work. I can hear the clicks as I change bands, but not hearing any audio.

I'm sure I could, given the time and more knowledge, take them apart and put them together as one working radio, but I don't know what parts are good, and what parts aren't. I don't have an oscilloscope, but I do have a multimeter, and the manual and some other assorted papers.

Does anybody have anything to recommend? Ideas of what could be wrong with either radio? Any and all information is appreciated. Although I've worked a little bit with computer components, I've never dug into electronics this deeply before...

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you measured the voltage at the radio when it stops working ?

Measuring at the power switch would be good, To make sure the problem is not the switch.

You should download the service manual if you do not have one.

Good Luck. Enjoy.

3. KD2CXU

It would be almost impossible to tell, without keeping my eye on the volt meter and hoping to catch it at just the right time.

Power switch does not seem to be an issue

I have 2 manuals with schematic/block diagrams.

4. KA9JLM

Fuse holders and the DC connector on the back of the radio can be problematic.

5. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Please explain this statement: "The power will cut in the power supply, usually from an internal breaker, or the fuse. it could happen the 1st time I key the mic, or it could happen with a contact I've been talking to for several minutes. this also happens when switched to CW and switching to 'send' to tune the antenna in."

Is the power supply blowing a breaker or fuse. The radio doesn't have either one internally.

6. KD2CXU

As it says, in the power supply.
    I was borrowing a Ten-Tec power supply that would shut off, I would have to switch the power supply and radio off, turn them back on, and rush back to the frequency my contact was on.

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

What model tentec power supply?

Are you sure it has enough amps to run that radio?

8. KD2CXU

As I said, it was with 2 different power supplies. I don't remember the exact models of them. one was a Ten-Tec, can't remember the other. But they both, according to their labeling, would run the radio, or I wouldn't have used them...

9. KA9JLM

Do you know how much power the supplies put out ?

Are they made to run a 200 watt radio ?

You should do some testing, So that we can stop guessing. ;)

10. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

My best recommendation is to either sell it on to someone else or put it in a cupboard and wait until you have more experience , patience , and money to dive into such a project.

This generation of Kenwoods are now days a big can of worms.

But if your a sucker for pain ..... check to see how many Amps its consuming when running normally and switch back and forth until the symptom shows up.
    If when it blows the fuse there is a significant spike of current draw then something is intermittent shorting out , or consuming more power than it should.
    It could be anything from faulty electrolytic caps , a failing PA section , or a zillion other things.

The only way you can narrow it down then is by disconnecting sections one by one until you discover which area the fault is in.

Then you start trouble shooting that section.

By the way , the power supply required to run this radio has 10Amp continuous with a 20 to 25Amp peak.
    Make sure the supply can deliver what the radio is wanting or you will be chasing your tail for no reason.
    The fuse is a 20Amp.

gregW:) OH2FFY

WA7PRC and KD2CXU like this.