ad: SDRKits-1

Kenwood TS-430S issues....

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by AA9GG, Nov 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AA9GG

AA9GG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just purchased a used TS-430S and have a few questions....
    1) I noticed that there is an interaction between the volume control and the RF gain. With the RF gain set to max (fully CW) I can not completely reduce the volume. To get a very low volume level, I have to adjust the RF gain CCW. This does not seem normal to me.

2) Today I noticed when I use the Send/Receive switch in CW mode to tune, it gets hot depending on the setting of the carrier level control. Again..this does not seem normal.

Any comments or suggestion would be welcomed....

Thanks de Paul, AA9GG

2. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

1. The volume pot is broken. It should reduce the audio to zero with the RF Gain at max.

2. What gets hot? If the final unit, tune faster.

3. AA9GG

Good call on the volume pot. If I tap it the volume reduces down. So either the pot is broken or a bad /cracked solder joint.

Not sure what is causing the heating problem. I appears like the front chassis is getting hot (the send/rx switch and the mic connector get REAL hot), the finals are on the back. Even with a good tune it still heats up. I checked the screws on the various boards and all were tight. I also noticed the light dim too, so something is drawing a hell of a lot of current

4. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing up there should get warm much less hot unless someone put in a halide headlight lamp for the S-meter.

What is the current draw in RX. It should be ~1.2A.

5. AA9GG

According to my power supply ammeter it is around that, TX is abt 20A. This issue only occurs during TX. I think it may be due to RF going where it shouldn't

6. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

So if it only happens in TX then I would say you may have some loose grounds. I found that out of the 6 or so I worked on in the last couple of years there are lots of bad and cracked solder joints, loose screws, corrosion on chassis and shields.

But Cliff is more educated on these than I, He is the Kenwood guru.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Like thru your fingertips. :eek: What is your antenna ?

Does it get hot testing into a dummy load ?

8. WA4ZYN

WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it grounded? I am wondering if the temperature is "hot" or it "feels hot" due to RF? I once got a pretty good burn from a microphone.

Francis WA4ZYN