ad: qroparts

KENWOOD TM-V71A vs. YAESU FT-8900R

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N0XWX, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KE7PMY

KE7PMY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TM-V71A. I like the back lit buttons. I like the heft of the microphone (it's not flimsy and light). I like that it has 1000 memory channels and I can use all 1000 on both A & B sides (I don't need to use two memory channels for the same frequency, one for use on Side A and one for use on Side B). I don't believe the Yaesu product has any of these features. *Please notice I italicized and bolded the word "believe". I could have forgotten a few things, since the last I've played with the upper end Yaesu VHF/UHF dual side mobile radios was four years ago this month, when I was comparing radios at Ham Radio Outlet in Anaheim.

I worked my first two AO-51 contacts one week ago with it. I have both TX & RX frequencies saved in to two seperate memories. I enter the TX memory on Side A, and the RX memory on side B. Then I transfer the RX memory to VFO and then I'm able to dial in for doppler affect in 5 kHz increments.

I use a Larsen NMO2/70B antenna, with a Larsen NMOB mount drilled smack dab in the middle of the roof of my 1997 Honda Accord commuter car. I installed the same mount smack dab in the middle of my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins two nights ago. I'm not sure why people are afraid to drill.

KF7GD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.