kENWOOD TK-880 CONVERSION

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WS4JH, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WS4JH

WS4JH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I received a working TK-880 currently on 463.87500 , and am looking for anyone that has converted one to HAM BAND, as to what procedure is needed to be followed, or if it is as simple as to pay the local communication shop to program it. Granted for not too much money I could buy a 70cm radio, this one just happened to be free, so if it can be done, it beats buying a new radio. Depending on the type, I have read in other searches it is either easy to do, or impossible.

James WS4JH

2. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually its just a case of reprogramming it with the correct frequencies. The biggest problem with any of this PMR stuff is finding ways to program them. A lot of the programs are old DOS based ones that won't for some reason function correctly on anything faster than an old Pentium computer which is why a friend of mine keeps one knocking around.

The Yahoo Groups are invaluable sources of information and programming apps.

3. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Ya, just program it up. It will be fine.

If you can find it, You need the KPG-94D programming software and an appropriate cable.

If not, a local shop should have it.

Brad

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or maybe the KPG-49D. There is a difference. You can get the programming cable on e-bay for under $20, works with most older Kenwood mobiles, and some newer ones, too. Software is available all over.

Joe

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TK-880 Owner's Manual (B62-1438-10)
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles...ations/LMR/Manuals/TK-780-880_B62-1438-10.pdf

RBTIP web site TK-880 manual (B62-1549-00 K)
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs/tk-780-880-980-981-inst-man.pdf

Kenwood TK-880 Service Manual
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs/tk-880-svc-man-rev-e.pdf

Repeater Builders TIP has information on Kenwood LMR.

You have to LOOK at the TK-880 product sticker, to determine which UHF Radio Type you have.
    As well as version (thete is a Version 2.0).
    A quick method to determine what Type radio you have (1, 2, or 3, also referred to as K, K2, and K3) is to look at the FCC ID number on the back, the LAST 3 Digits should be 110 (Type 1), 120 (Type 2), and 130 for a Type 3. This saves you having to enter in the complete FCC ID number at the website.

Type 1, 450-490 MHz
    Type 2, 485-512 MHz
    Type 3, 400-430 MHz

Not all of these models can be easily converted (frequency agility)
    to the USA amateur radio UHF (70 cm) allocation.

TH-880(H) version 2.0 product brochure
    http://www.atlanticradio.com/products/TK780h_880h_ver2_k.pdf

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  6. WS4JH

WS4JH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. The one I have is a Type 1 450-490mhz. Will have to call the local communication shop and see how cooperative they are to program it to the ham band, and the cost involved. I also received a stack of TK-690H units Type 3, that I would like at least one also placed on 6mtrs. if they can do that as well. I did find the conversion info on repeater builders for this one, looked simple enough. If it all works out would like to use the remaining units on 6Mtrs for the local Red Cross shelters. Our local club provides communications for a number of Red Cross events, and that would be a better use than selling my excess.

James WS4JH

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked on a lot of Kenwood land mobile stuff and I recall the TK880s and 780s would not even accept the out of band frequencies, when you tried to enter them, with either the DOS or Windows software versions..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.