ad: elecraft

Kenwood TH-F6A homebrew HF antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KG5RKF, May 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KG5RKF

KG5RKF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey all. I am a semi-new member here but look forward to chatting with everyone and contributing and learning. First time posting a thread but lots of searching!

I have been checking around for any threads of this kind but cannot find a thread with an actual answer. I am fully aware and understand all the Pros/Cons of the Kenwood TH-F6A and using an external antenna.

I am starting this thread to see what everyone has used for an external antenna for this HT. I am in the military, so I travel a lot. I just wanted some ideas for portable antennas that people have made or use. Anyone homebrew a BNC connector long wire? How about a BNC connector dipole? How about a long wire using gator clips?

Just opening to ideas. Thanks all.

Don

2. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Don,

Try googling for "2m ground plane antenna". This is a very fine antenna for 2m that is easy to make. It can be made for other bands too, although I think the 2m one will work for 220MHz also.

Here is a good article about those: https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/ab18-16.pdf

Welcome, cheers, and 73,

Mark.

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

EKU:

A quarter-wave antenna for 2-meters will work fine as a 3/4ths wave antenna on the FM portion of the 70 cm band (440 MHz). It will NOT work for the 222 MHz band.

Glen, K9STH

4. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Uff-duh!

3rd harmonic and all (not enough coffee I guess) thanks Glen :)

Mark.

5. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the Kenwood TH-F6A have HF now ?

I guess it does. :rolleyes:

7. KG5RKF

KG5RKF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys. I apologize. I should have mentioned that I am fine with the VHF/UHF antenna. Just looking for ideas for RX on HF. I will post some pictures of what I went with after it is complete. KA9JLM, yes, it does have HF Rx capabilities and it has SSB and CW as well. That is why I am trying to home brew an antenna for Rx only on the HF bands.

Going with about 15 ft of 22 AWG wire (for portability and roll-up). It will be attached to a gator clip for ease of stringing up. The other end will be soldered to an SMA adapter with coax cable. Obviously not for TX but it will be really good for Rx.

I cant claim this as my own idea but after hours and hours of searching, I stumbled upon something like this.

8. KF5ONT

KF5ONT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done HF work with the th-f6a. I've connected it to my g5rv, recieved PSK via headphone jack to sound card on 20 meters just fine as well.
    I would just use some long wire, connect to the center and one to the shield and make a dipole. Looks like your on your way, have fun with it.

That kenwood is also great for testing anything from MW up to UHF, even on ssb. Pretty cool!