ad: elecraft

Kenwood TH-D74A Triband DSTAR HT Review - Ham Radio 2.0: Episode 64

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One feature lacking in this incredible rig: true, full-duplex operation like the 'D72a (defined as being able to hear with an earpiece one band as you key up on the other band - for working, say, FM satellites).

Informally and off the record, Kenwood may be thinking of the 'D72a as a "replacement" for the TH-F6a - but this is NOT an official word from anyone.

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a bummer.

For the price you would think that it would have that feature.

KC5HWB likes this.
  4. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

very "bad" idea to improve in a new radio the d-star ..... the future is the DMR or c4fm fusion , hi !

but if you see in the icom inc. company , jvc kenwood have the 30% of the stock of icom !

KC5HWB likes this.
  5. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. DMR is growing faster than any other digital mode out there. NONE of the "Big 3" manufacturers are making DMR radios at this time (Kenwood actually does make a commercial DMR radio, but it isn't sold in the USA) Had Kenwood decided to make this radio a FPP DMR Radio, they could have cornered the Amateur DMR market.

K3SZ likes this.
  6. KB3SEG

KB3SEG Ham Member QRZ Page

AVOID THE thd74. Its audio is lack luster (baeofang) like at best. The battery life is shorter than Bidens memory. If you thought dstar was complicated then this radio will totally upset you with how kenwood made the dstar programming that much more of a night mare. The rt systems program cant even get the radio to properly set it to dv versus dr for dvap operation. So I would avoid this YUGO quality radio.

7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i have the jiffy manual for my d74.
    i found 90 lines of info for gps/aprs way too much for me. id never be able to do anything w/o the book..
    thats just me...